Best PLC for Starting Off? Micrologix?

MechTechNewb

As per topic, which PLC should I use to get a little experience under my belt. I can get a micrologic off ebay for 100 and its an industry standard so I am leaning that way.

One question that crossed my mind was how to connect the AC power? I cant find an adapter for 120V AC. And getting an extension cord, cutting off one end and connecting that to the plc that does not sound like a good idea. Is there a special cable from AB or do I have to make my own power limiter?

Any help or advice as to what i should do?

The cut off extension cord is probably the best way to do it. I have dozens of PLCs arround the shop for programming and they are all wired with SJ cord and Hubbell cord caps. Though I do use a GFCI outlet to plug them into.

Thanks Mark

Simple enough then
I will be experimenting at home though so Im a little worried of shorting anything or any other bad luck that seems to come my way.
I assume a GFCI outlet is some sort of protection...sorry but GFCI stands for?

I find that I always have an excess of computer power cords laying around so I usually just cut the end off and wire it to the PLC power terminals. As was suggested, use a GFI outlet or an GFI equipped extension cord. I've got two of them wired that way on my desk right now.

Which Micrologix model is offered for a hundred dollars? Be careful there because some models of the ML list brand new for less than a hundred. Also, you will need programming software. For the 10 io point Micrologix the programming software is free, but for any ohters you must have a licensed copy of Logix500.

For the 10 io point Micrologix the programming software is free, but for any ohters you must have a licensed copy of Logix500.

It appears that AB no longer offers free software for the ML1000, at least it is not offered on the main ML page like it was and I have yet to locate where it can be downloaded.

It appears that AB no longer offers free software for the ML1000, at least it is not offered on the main ML page like it was and I have yet to locate where it can be downloaded.
I was able to find it earlier this year. If I remember correctly, there were several 2Meg packets that I had to download. I found it was harder to locate RSLinx lite.

MechTechNewb, you can also download a version of DirectSoft software for Automation Direct PLCs from their website. The version limits youto programs of 100 word or less, but that should be fine for learning. There are plenty of AD PLCs on ebay and they are inexpensive enough to consider buying one brand new.

Last edited:
I ended up winning a micrologix off ebay and am now just waiting for it to arrive.
Also, my school has a contract to use RSLogix so I can get it on my school laptop.
thanks guys for the help