Will work for software (AB)

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
The title is a joke but then again...

I knew it was inevitable but have been putting off upgrading RSLogix500 for a long time. My old laptop was just that, OLD, so I was moving all the programs onto a newer desktop and in the process damaged my RSL Master Disk...with the activation on it.

I know the routines for resetting codes etc but I have not had a support contract in 2-3 years plus my version, 5.20.00, did not support the ML1100 so I guess it is time to look at purchasing new.

I have talked to the local AB distributor but info was sketchy to say the least. My real question is what is the difference between RSL500 Starter and Standard and does the starter support the ML1100?

Also is the Starter edition still in the $500 range and Standard approximately $1100? I know this price can vary depending on multiplier but I may need to obtain it at full retail.

I have no problem with paying for the software because in 10 years I have only had to purchase AB plc software twice, for myself, if you can not recuperate that cost in that time frame something is wrong.

I have another question too. I have RSNetworx installed on the laptop and it has an activation file, I do not have a master disk for it so I am wondering how I can transfer it. I have the original RSNetworx CD. I may find the answer to this after studying but am too freaked out over losing the other activation that I can not work with it right now.

I have PB32 working and for the time being have the ML 1000 10pt free version installed but it will not allow me to view, modify, etc all my old programs.

I still need to move Step 7 and VersaPro but will wait.

I was in the same boat as you last year... I had a fully-licensed copy of RS Logix 500, but needed to upgrade to support the latest release of MicroLogix that we use.

My company was able to get into a one-year support contract for about $500 that allowed me to get all of the current version of RS Logix 500 plus PanelView 32 via the web.

You could do that, then let your contract expire, then re-new when you need to again.

Remember, you are a licensed owner, so at this point you should be entitled to some kind of upgrade options, not just "buying new"... Call your Rockwell Software distributor.

Ron, not only will the starter edition support the ML1100, but it will even support ONLINE editing of the ML1100 ONLY. Be advised that there are some known issues with the latest version of RSLinx that will ship with it (V 2.5) and you may wnat to read up about them in the AB Knowledgebase and get the hotfixes there. Since you will be purchasing it from Roden in Birmingham, you can call me on our 1-800 Techline number (your local sales guy can give you the number) and I will be happy to discuss any of your question with you (ask for Mark).

Ron, Jimmy is spot on. It will be cheaper for you to purchase an RSTechConnect support contract (web support only). Then you can download all of the upgrades for all of your software (except RSView family)

Well Mark I thought you worked for Roden and was in the process of checking your profile to verify the city. Expect a call from me soon. I have the Roden page open so have the numbers.

I take it that the Starter edition does not offer online editing for the SLC models, that is the difference?

Yes, the starter version was originally targeted for MicroLogix, SLC 5/01 and 5/02 users. Since the ML's, 5/01 & 5/02 didn't have online editing capabilities, they produced a stripped-down version that would also support all ML's & SLC's, but with no online editing. When they developed the ML1100, they evidently decided to include online editing for the ML1100 only in the CPR 7 (V 7.0) software release, so existing starter edition customers wouldn't have to shell out $1200 for RSLogix standard. A tech-connect contract may be a cost-effective solution for you, given you can then upgrade all of your PLC programming and PanelBuilder32 software for about the cost of a new starter version (maybe less). Then you can download all of your updates off the web; this is nice when they come out with intermediate releases that are not shipping yet. If you buy RSLogix 500, you will get V 7.0 on disk, but V 7.10 is available on the web (7.10 supports the latest 5/05 firmware and has ladder instructions for CNET, DNET and ENET explicit messaging).

I have no idea exactly what I did but I got the Master Disk to work again, this takes pressure off having to upgrade/renew etc but now know I need to anyway.

I thought I was prepared for this situation with backups but could not locate them.

The only reason I freaked out was I just took on a small job and needed the software. Murphy's Law wins again.