AS-i monitoring in STEP7

Hello silva.foxx;For the S7-200 and S7-300 platforms, there are on-board As-i masters available; for the S7-300 and S7-400 platforms, configured as Profibus-DP masters, there are gateways known as DP-As-i links.
The following image is extracted from the navigation tree of Siemens' support website:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&lang=en&siteid=cseus&aktprim=0&extranet=standard&objid=10805930&DataKey=10805930&treeLang=en

asi_Siemens.jpg

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

You need to add the GSD into your hardware catalogue for your profibus/asi gateway (already there if Siemens, but 3rd party companies like IFM etc will supply you with them).

You add that GSD to your profibus network and highlight it then add the I/O modules into the slots. Example shown below.

asi1.JPG

In this example there are two Asi channels and I/O addresses are
160-175 and 176-191.

Create a VAT table and monitor these bytes in binary in byte, word, bit whatever.

In the code, obviously address as normal I/O.

See, not all us Swansea fans are too bad.

Last edited:
I'm assured that AS-i reads/writes from/to data blocks in bit form, therefore I'm seeking how and where to find them in STEP7.

I'm not looking to confugure hardware, just searching for binary bits to/from AS-i nodes. I want to see if a sensor on a remote AS-i node is triggering when it should. It has something to do with DBX in data blocks....

s.f

Hello sylva.foxx;

Sorry about the earlier misunderstanding;
As Peter's screen capture shows, the As-i link uses standard input and output addresses to read/write the As-i data; you would get the status of slave 1, input 1 on I160.0, slave 1 input on I160.1... Of course, you can move the As-i data to a DB, then the following paragraph would apply too.
If you are using a CP343-2, for example, and the read area is defined in a DB, say DB100, then your slave 1, input 1 data will be in DB100.DBX0.0 (LSB address of byte 0), slave 1, input 2 on DB100.DBX0.1....

This addressing table is from a manual for the CP343-2 ( from my first post):
asi_addr.jpg

Hope this helps
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
Hi Silva Foxx,

Firstly what is the ASI Master controlling the slaves i.e CP342-2 CP343-2 ASI/DP Link etc

Not always is the ASI Pheripheral area mapped to Datablocks, i have seen M memory used and also I and Q.

As previously stated check the hardware address of the master, if say it begins at 256 then cross reference PID256 in the user program and see where its mapped to, i.e DBD0, MD0, ID0 etc

If you are sure its a DB open up the cross referenced address and go online

Hope this helps

STL