Ground bar - universal - ?source?

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have used Cutler Hammer BRGBK39512 for years as a
panel-mounted ground bar. It has multiple holes, and
mounts easily.

HOWEVER, it really isnt made for control panel use, as it
is sold as an accessory to a load center.

Short of lining up a bunch of green/yellow ground blocks
on a DIN rail, has anyone else come up with a semi-universal
ground bar for use in a control panel, similar to the C-H bar?

Our guy in the shop would make them by drill and tapping bars of copper in between jobs. I switched to the bar type that you mentioned because if you added a line in the field, you did not need to crimp a ring-terminal.

Here is an answer to your question, though.

Last edited:
Go to ILSCO

But if the C-H ones you have been using are UL Recognized as components why can't you incoporate them into your UL508A panels?

Here is the problem that I have found.

Much like the CH part, I've been using a SquareD PK9GTA which is for panelboards/load centers. Under UL508 Table SA1.1 Section 14, these would need to be procedure described in order to be used in a UL508 panel.

UL508 Table SA1.1 Section 28 allows UL LISTED 486 components under Category ZMVV to be used without any procedure modification.

But the Ilsco D-167 is RECOGNIZED under ZMVV2 not LISTED under ZMVV ( a point noted by our UL inspector). And so this too would need to be procedure described.

Has anyone found a ground bar that doesn't need to be procedure described?

Back in my panel-building days, I found that if I needed several bigger ground wire points, I would just purchase a "power distribution block". Then I would remove the metal blocks from the plastic mounting piece and directly mount it to the steel panel.

You can get one, two, or three pole versions.

This worked very well. Maybe not cheap, but it got me what I needed.