BCD thumbwheel switch help

Hello, I have a BCD thumbwheel ttl switch. It has 5 leads on it. They are maked 1 2 4 C 8. Does any one know what the leads are?

I have no info on them, other than the markings on the switch which are C&K USA and some numbers 02854 93.

It is a 0-9 A-F thumbwheel. I'd like to wire them (I have 4) into a 1746-IG16 ttl input module.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be great.

Thanks John

You know I'm not a student of PLC's, I'm actually a 2 term Millwright Appretice who has a passion for the electrical side of things mainly PLC. I own three plc's and currently two home made trainers or simulators and gathering the parts for an upgraded version.
When I come to the site and ask a simple Q in a Q & A forum I don't expect to be belittled.

For the most part people have been really helpful and I thank them for that.

John

Sheesh...

You got the data you were requesting in 8 minutes and that's your response?

I'm sorry you were offended. I really am. But I think it's got more to do with the chip on your shoulder than my lame attempt at a light hearted post.

Excuse me for responding, I'll try not to let it happen again.

If you put your source voltage (with a TTL module,probably +5VDC) to 'C' and wire the others as mellis suggested to the input module and wired nothing else(for simplicity right now) then read the value of the input module as a WORD you should see the expected values 0 = 0. If you don't get this then post again with your results. And by the way - if it has the numbers 0-9 AND the letters A-F then it is a hexadecimal thumbwheel. You should see the word values 0 through 15. A BCD thumbwheel would stop at 9.

No chip here!

Hello,

Sorry Mel, I don't really bother you guys alot and at times it seems that unless your a member that works, sleeps, and eats PLC then your not a member. I realize I'm not a pro at this so sorry for at times asking Q that seem to be easy. I spend a lot of time just reading posts and learning as much as I can, I save program examples for future use and it really helps to understand. This site offers a termendous amount of information, which I appreciate greatly.

Thanks for helping the less fortunate, keep up the great work.
John

thumbwheel switch

If you put your source voltage (with a TTL module,probably +5VDC) to 'C' and wire the others as mellis suggested to the input module and wired nothing else(for simplicity right now) then read the value of the input module as a WORD you should see the expected values 0 = 0. If you don't get this then post again with your results. And by the way - if it has the numbers 0-9 AND the letters A-F then it is a hexadecimal thumbwheel. You should see the word values 0 through 15. A BCD thumbwheel would stop at 9.

May I asked how to read the data from the thumbwheel switch aside from using DSW command? That command wont work for me because it will turn ON the series 4 Y outputs but in my case the outputs I need are not series, Y22, y23, y26 & y27.

The DSW command says dsw S D1 D2 n.. The S is the source (x) head device, the D1 is the Y head device to which the strobe signal is output, the D2 storing numeric value and the n as the total # of 4 digit switch.. The y22, y23, y26 & y27 i mean about is the D1 i used. When I put y23 as the D1, it will turn ON the nest 4 series outputs but my Y24 & Y25 should not be included because they had been wired to solenoid valves.

so, I tried another, is it correct: where x40 is for manual selector switch here:

/m8000/---------------(m1)
/m1/--/x40/--[mov k1x34 d1]
[mov k1x35 d2]
[mov k1x36 d3]
[mov k1x37 d4]

after turnibg ON the selector switch, i initially got these values:

x34 = 0
x35 = 8
x36 = 4
x37 = 2

why? my purpose of moving is just to convert the BCD data into binary.. I tried [BIN K1X34 D1] just replacing mov with BIN.. Am I at the right truck? I need to read the data from my digital switch/ thumbwheel and convert these into binary for PLC operation.. Am I thinking the right thing?

Any help or further explaination for the thumbwheel usage please..

Thank you very much.. I understand my thread always repeats by itself..

Sincerely,

sheryl- Philippines