Notebook --> slc500 via Ethernet

hkboy

Do we need any special pc card for a notebook to communicate with a slc500 processor via Ethernet?

Hi , Kellian

Thank you for your reply.

I add the driver for Ethernet at the RSLin-Lite and connect the cable between the Notebook and slc500-processor. After auto-browwse,
the RSLin only can find the node for Notebook , but it can,t find the
node for the processor. Is there anything in the RsLin-Lite that should be set in order to get the communication?

RSLinx does not "browse" the Ethernet network for controllers the way it does DH+ or DH-485 networks.

Instead, there is a "Station = IP Address" table which you set up in the Configuration of the AB_ETH driver. Select Communications -> Configure Drivers, then highlight the AB_ETH driver and set up that table with the IP address of your SLC-5/05 controller.

The SLC-5/05 must have an IP address assigned to it; you can set that up by downloading a dummy program via the SLC-5/05 serial port, or by using the BOOTP Server utility that is in the RSLinx Tools program directory.

If you are connecting to a controller with a program already in it,
you will need to know the IP address on the SLC 500. It will be shown in the channel configuration under the channel 1 tab. Once you know that go to your computer under network neighborhood > properties > TCP/IP adapter and uncheck "obtain an IP address automatically".
Then enter an IP address with the same numbers except in the last three on the right. Set the sub-mask to the same. Re-boot the computer. If you can't get online to find the IP address then you may need to go into the DF1 port with a RS232 cable to get that information. This is what worked for me. Others may have an easier solution. I had some difficulties trying to get BootP to work. It was probably just my lack of knowledge.
Sid

Last edited:
You can't communicate with your laptop to a SLC500 over ethernet without using an adapter. You need a 1761-NET-ENI, a crossover cable from your laptops ethernet port to this adapter, then adapter to com port on plc. Only the 5/05 processor has a built in ethernet port.

Hi guys,
Thanks a lot!
The processor I want to communicate is 5/05 . Does it mean that I do not need any other pc card ? It has a Ethernet port on it and already have program inside. I got the program in my notebook but I need to make some change in the program. I worked with DH+ before , this is the first time I worked with slc processor that uses Ethernet.

Hi

I got the IP address and the sub mask of the process but I can't find where to put in the IP address for the driver .

Thanks

In RSLinx Click on Communications > Configure drivers > Highlight the ethernet driver that is configured, then Click Configure. You should then see a list of stations and a list of host names. In the first blank space in the host name column enter the IP address.(like this for instance) 192.168.100.20 or whatever the SLC500 address is. Next, on the next line in the host name column, enter the name of the computer that has the ethernet adapter in it, or, if you were able to manually able to configure the TCP/IP adapter like I posted earlier, enter that IP address in the host name column. Be sure that the first three groups are the same in both IP addresses, but not the last group. If you have the SLC500 IP address then the computer ethernet IP address should be the same, except for that last group. Don't use 0 or 255 but somewhere in-between.

Either IP address or computer name can go in the HOST NAME column.
Just remember, all the different devices, (computer, PLC's etc.) have to be on that HOST NAME list.

Just re-iterating what Kellian said:
If you go straight from the 505 Enet port to the notebook enet port you need an ethernet cross over cable (approx $10) OR you can go from the port to a hub to the notebook using all standard type ethernet cables. Regards Alan case