Notebook HDisk setup for multiple PLC brands

tweazer

Which PLC programming software does not play well with others?

I need to occasionally use
AB
Siemens Step7
Omron CXOne
Mitsubishi Medoc & GXDev
Automation Direct DS5
Panasonic FPWin GR & Pro
Yokogawa Widefield
Red Lion
EasyBuilder
and maybe Delta

for lightweight programming, nothing too involved, just the basics with no networked PLCs.

Because I want to use the notebook for more than just PLC stuff, the more intrusive software should be located on a separate partition or virtual machine. I am leaning toward placing Siemens and AB on a separate partition.

In your experience do most brands work well together ?
Anyone use virtual machines or separate partitions ?

Thanks for the feedback :site:

I have quite a few of the programs in your list on my laptop, along with plenty of others. I have not had any problems with them on the same PC. The only issue with AB is that RSLinx assumes you never want to use your serial port for anything else. That's an easy fix though. I don't have any Siemens software installed, so I don't know how well that plays with others... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

In the past (5-15 years ago) multiple boots and segregation was the only way to manage it.

Fortunately today we typically install nearly all PLC programming packages native on the same "boot" so it's all together. The exceptions are SCADA packages and the WinCC Flexible software which can significantly slow boot-up times. We always install these on Virtual Machines using VMware.

A major reason to go native for PLC programming packages is for communication interfaces using PCMCIA, though there are workarounds for this if you want to go virtual.

A second great reason to stay native for PLC programming packages is you often want to look at code or work on more than one package at a time. If they are in VM's you end up starting and stopping multiple "computers" to get your work done. When native, none of these issues.

The issues you face when having all your eggs in one basket is once you get it all working - which can take a week or more - are the following:

1. One little venture on the internet can wreak havoc.
2. When programming packages need to be updated you have to uninstall and then re-install and this can cause problems, sometimes not right away but over a period of multiple upgrades you often see slowdown issues.

In a perfect world you'd use VMware virtual machines, one for each software. You can back them up to servers or external hard drives and they are portable so if your laptop dies you can run them from other computers.

Good luck with your choices!

I use VM's put primarily by brand such as a vm for AB another for siemens and so fourth.

In each vm i make use of snapshots so i install activations to the stripped xp vm then add all my ab software current versions and if i have the need to run an older version of logix 5 for example i just revert to the stripped xp sapshot with activations and install logix 5 and take a napshot of just logix 5.

I normally do this as i need them and then save them if ever needed again. I backup to a nas every time i put the laptop in it's docking station for charging. When i travel i also keep a external HD with all my vm's on it so i can use on another pc if needed.

Sometimes we make a vm for each customer so we are on the same versions that they are. Especially those without support contracts for software upgrades.

I keep the installers for almost every version of every package on my external HD for this reason.

I also use this http://www.eazsolution.com/ on my physical machine to handle any windoze problems.

Depends on how complex your Siemens Step7 installation is. If you're just using a simple Step7 package - and your 'Pg/PG interface' points directly towards the hardware port (ISO or TCP over ethernet, CP card, PC Adapter, etc) then no problem, I've run it concurrently with lots of other software.

But if your Step7 installation is using Simatic Net as it's communications driver - that is to say, setting the PG-PG Interface to "PC Internal" so that Step7 communicates over whatever path Simatic Net's station configurator sets up - than this REALLY REALLY needs to be on a separate native hard drive all it's own. Simatic Net doesn't play nicely with other comm drivers and doesn't work well under virtualizations - Yes, I've seen it done under VMWARE and MS-VM, and I've gotten Simatic Net to play nicely with GE Cimplicity, but it's a hair-pulling experience.

Simatic Net doesn't play nicely with other comm drivers and doesn't work well under virtualizations /quote]

Rant: Some software developers think they own your PC. Why pay for software like that ?

I just ran into a Delta branded PLC and found their software online free. This looks to be a pretty decent application compared to the biggies and is not intrusive to my PC.

I am running Vista Business. The only PLC software I will allow to run clean in Vista is Omron CX-One. It releases serial ports and does not leave drivers running at all. It also does not spray junk all over the hard drive. A really well behaved program. I am having a look at Windows 7 and it has been fully compatable with Windows 7 for months now (32 bit of course).
AB leaves drivers running, so does Unity Pro. Siemens sprays rubbish all over the hard drive.
I run all the other PLC software inside Virtual Box on XP Pro. Exceptional piece of software, once you get used to it, and is free.
I am lead to understand that the Microsoft VM for Windows 7 is a really exceptional piece of software. If you are running the 64 bit version software can be installed in the VM in XP mode and the driver is installed in the 32 bit system. No need for 64 bit drivers. The VM just runs the driver and accesses the hardware only through the 64 bit OS. Some guys are already using this method and swear by it.