RSLogix 5

I see RSLogix 5 software CD, without the activation disk, for sale on EBay. My question is why would one purchase the CD without the activation disk. How could you use it?

Thanks in advance
Roger

I guess if you didn't pay for upgrade support for a few years but wanted to buy an upgrade to a current version this would help. Getting upgrades from A-B costs more than what that is currently going for.

This business is just getting down and dirty

OK, so here's a story of two different control solutions
providers:

Provider #1 buys his software and hardware off eBay, and
during startup, has a problem with either or both, and
says to the customer: "Gee, I don't know what to do...
I don't have anybody to call." Or - he calls the original
manufacturer, and complains when the original manufacturer
charges him for tech. support.

Provider #2 buys his software and hardware from normal
distributors, and, when faced with a problem, can resolve
it fairly easily using those distributors. He also sometimes
has to call the orignial manufacturer, and also complains
when he has to pay for tech. support.

Reality:
Provider #1 gets every project he bids, since he is always
the low cost bid. The end user does not know at bid time
which type of provider he is dealing with...the end user is
only concerned with one thing: low price.

Please note: I hate the high price of control hardware
and software, and applaud automationdirect (and others)
for realistic sales price setting. Also, I think eBay
is a wonderful sales channel for lots of stuff, even
control stuff.

That nasty old EULA

Well, we could all sell old versions of software media on eBay,
I suppose, except for one little minor detail:

We (the supposed sellers) don't even own the media we're selling.

Read your EULA.

And why oh why wouldn't R/AB go after guys who sell their software
on eBay? Talk about a blatant disregard for the law!

Um, because lawyers cost way more than cheapskates do.

P.S. Those awful, senseless, mean ol' Tech Support charges put food on my table.

So, I gather that you are only allowed to rent rslogix software and it is never yours. If you dont pay the rent you are not allowed software upgrades.

If you retire or change occupations then you are not allowed to sell the software....

I havnt read the licsence on the software I own, er use (always click 'I agree') but I would be interested if this is the case throughout.

A Rockwell / Allen Bradley license can be transferred if the registered owner notifies Rockwell (used to be Michelle Dumke in Milwaukee) of the change. I think there is a fee involved. I have also been told that on the next major revision of RSL (V6.0.0??) they are changing over to a different registration system and you will not be able to upgrade if you are not in current support. BTW, GE Fanuc and Modicon already are doing this and I don't think the others are far behind.