GE Fanuc 90/30

jolio ST

Hello guys.

I am in deep trouble. I have never touched a GE PLC before, and I am very confused now. I have wired up the plc according to an old project drawing(it's not confirmed workable circuit), and now I am stuck with the programming portion. I do not know how to start with addressing the inputs and outputs and communication addresses. can anyone help me out on this? Below is the configuration of my circuit:
1 no. IC693CHS397 (5-slot chassis)
1 no. power supply unit IC693PWR322
1 no. CPU IC693CPU363
1 no. ethernet module IC693CMM321
1 no. Genius bus controller IC693BEM331
The genius bus controller is connected to another remote IO carrier:
1 no. IC200CHS022 (IO carrier barrier style)
1 no. power supply IC200PWR001
1 no. remote IO genius network interface unit IC200GBI001
2 no. input modeule IC200MDL650
3 no. output module IC200MDL742

How do I go about configuration on the cimplicity software?
I have only tonight to figure it out.
Thanks~

regards
Sherine T.

First, PLEASE use Proficy ME Version 5.5 with ServicePack 1 and SIM5 or later, SIM8 is available today.
All addressing is decimal and starts with 1, except some Array and COMM_REQ functions which begin at 0. All addressing must start at a byte or word boundry. A few other tips that will help to get you started.
1. Fire up the SW and get familiar with it first.
2. Keep the 'Companion' window open and read it's content as you go, this is context sensitive help.
3. For general help use the 'InfoView' tab of the 'Navigator' window.
4. For specific help use 'Help' > 'Search'
5. Take your time to find out where/how to get answers to you questions.
6. If you get stuck put your detailed question here.

Hi Russ!

Thanks fot the hint!

Is the Proficy ME you talking about, is Cimplicity ME? What I found in the mass of old old projects in the office is only Cimplicity ME. I heard my colleagues claimed that a previous project was done that looks similar with the current one (except this one has the additional EGCP-3 unit apart from many other additions, from Woodward), but the final workable program was done by an ex-colleague, who left the company without submission of the final program. I'm totally lost. I have tried addressing from %I00001 to as much as %01081, but none of the inputs responded, as well as outputs. I was hopping to get at least the basic system working before I start venturing on the ethernet modbus problem (that's my second and my final problem). I had managed to build up the configuration and the ladder program without errors, although I'm not sure if it is correct:

- I had only 1 target, and i set up only the series 90/30 rack configuration. I do not think the genius remote IO needed configuration.
- I list out the required inputs and outputs in the 'variables' tab. I thought I was in the right path..
- Then I do up the ladder programs. It validates without error. so far so good(or so I thought)..
- I've managed to download the program into the PLC, and start the PLC, got online to monitor, but I can't get any response from the remote IO when triggered physically.
- I played around with the wiring connections (switched the "SHD IN" and "SHD OUT" in between the interface unite and the IO unit, nothing happened. I tried switching to "SER 2", also nothing happened. So I guessed the problem lies with my parameters. I did not set anything to it, so it was basically running all on default values. I saw the "Ref add" and it explains that is the starting read-only address. so I changed it to %I00001. Did I do the right thing? I download the program again but still nothing is going on at the Remote IO side.

So question I wanted to pose: What else did I missed? do I need an update? I was told that this software is a pretty old version (I think brought around year 2002/03).
Thanks~:oops:

regards
Sherine T.

You need to complete the configuration for the Genius Bus Controller. You need to set the amount of Inputs and Outputs in the remote drop.

If the remote drop is Genius Bus address 1, and it has 32 inputs and 32 outputs, you need to configure the Bus Controller module's SBA #1 for those numbers and for the starting address for the data. The Bus controller itself requires 32 discrete (%I) inputs. The I/O in the remote drop are in addition to those.

Thank you Steve for the tip!:site:

I managed to find out the source of the peoblem(s):

Firstly I had been misled by my supplier when she told me that I only need to wire up SER-1 to "Serial A1" and the SHD-in/out. But a quick check with my old school professor that I need to wire up SER-2 to "Serial A2" as well!:oops: My school never taught GE PLC but he has been a very experienced engineer before he quit to teach, so he was able to provide some tips and ideas.

Secondly, I made a terrible mistake on the bus address on the Remote IO unit (it's called the remote drop?). I set it to 10 when it was 0 in my configuration. so I set it to 0 and my SBA# 0 is set up for my IO address.

The last came as pretty weird to me. I did all the above settings but my remote IOs are till not working! I cleared the PLC memory, re-download the program and start the PLC, but nothing happened still. After trying a few turns, I can't take it. So in a fit of frustration I off the main power supply to the panel, and promptly went for a cup of tea. When I came back, on the supply, the remote unit came alive!:eek: Does anyone happened across this situation? I am really curious.

Thanks to you guys (as well as my good ol' professor), I'm on the track for making this system work! Now I need to read up on the modbus commreq function blocks.

Regards
Sherine T.