PC a master on the profibus?

NoName

Hello.

I have a CP5512 PCMCIA card. And I would like to set a PC to be a master on the bus with this card...

I've set in the S7 manager, a Simatic PC station, set the CP5512 card in the configuration manager and I have set the operating mode of the card to profibus master and the DP mode to DPV1, but the assigned appliation window shows just <none> ??? How come ? What should be in this window?
Beacouse when I press Ok, it says that it has to have an application selected.

Any ideas???
Regards

What is it that you want to achieve with letting the PC be the master ?

Is the PC to function as a PLC ? In that case you have to add a WinAC to the PC station.

Is it because you want to have WinCC Flex or Protool RT connect to Profibus slaves ? In that case you have to add WinCC Flex or Protool RT to the PC station.

Is it because you want to connect to Profibus slaves via OPC ? In that case you have to add an OPC server to the PC station.

Is it because you want to do programming via Profibus ? In that case you dont have to setup a PC station at all. Just go online directly via Profibus.

JesperMP said:
What is it that you want to achieve with letting the PC be the master ?

Is it because you want to have WinCC Flex or Protool RT connect to Profibus slaves ? In that case you have to add WinCC Flex or Protool RT to the PC station.

Yes this is the reason. I have added a the ProtoolPro/RT to the configuration and then I can assign an application. The application is ofcourse ProtoolPro/RT - silly me :)
But if i was to use WinCC flexible, do I chose the same or is it somewhere in the hardware cataloge??? I've searched for it, but unfortunatley didn't find it? Is there a GSD file for it?

You add a WinCC Flex RT to the PC station in the same way that you add a Protool RT. You must have WinCC Flex installed on the configuring PC in order to do it.
In short, open the HW Configuration of the PC Station. select an index, and pick the WinCC Flex HMI from Simatic PC Station .. HMI .. WinCC flexible RT (right next to Simatic Protool/Pro RT).
If you cannot find it at this place, then WinCC Flex is not properly installed on the PC. Not sure if Flexible must be the "Advanced" version, but I would guess so.

You dont need a GSD file. GSD files are used to import Profibus slaves into the configuration of the Profibus master setup.

I had to reinstall WinCC flex and had to chose the manual installation, so that I could later enable the Simatic S7 integration. And then It was possible to drag the WinCC flex RT in to the configuration of the Simatic PC Station.
Tnx for the help again Jesper!

One more thing...
I have set the Simatic PC station so that it act's as a master, and the PROFIBUS master system apears. And when I try to add an additional dp slave(IF762 B&R station) a error msg appears. It says that the bus system cannot be terminated.... ???

But if I try to add the sam DP slave to a Simatic 300(313C-2DP) station it goes without problems, it doesn't report this error.

Any ideas ppl??

Regards
Aleš

Hi NoName

What is that "IF762 B&R station" ? Is it a B&R PLC as DP slave ?
I just tried to do the same with no problems.
PC station with CP5512, Profibus network, B&R Profibus slave (but it is not a IF762).

State the exact error message.
Also, there is possibly a special button ("details" or something like that), that will provide more info about the problem.

Hi NoName.

It is a little bit difficult to see the messages. But I think that I can just make it out.
Next time, crop the picture and post it as .GIF, that is the most efficient.

Can it be so simple as that you first have to select the Profibus network (the Profibus line must be filled with black color) and only then can you paste in the new slave ?

If that is not the solution, then zip and post both projects (the working one with S7-300, and the non-working one with CP5512). I shall then give it a go myself.

Hi again NoName.

OK, I have tried various things, and this is what I find out:

You get an error when you try to combine WinCC Flexible RT on a PC station with Profibus DP.
This also happens if you try a CP5611 or CP5613 in stead of CP5512, and it also happens if you try one of Siemens own Profibus DP devices.
I dont know the technical reason for it, maybe this is one of the grey zones where WinCC Flex isnt properly developed yet.

A way around is to use an OPC Server as an intermediary go-between.
The OPC Server seems to work OK in this respect.

Actually, maybe there is a completely different way to do what you want. Are you sure that you want to connect flexible over DP ? That means that you have to setup i/o areas and transfer data back and forth via these i/o areas.
If you have an OPC server connectio directly to the B&R PLC, then WinCC Flex can poll any address that you want.

The OPC server is one solution yes.
But what would happen if i connect a 300 station to the b&r plc and then connect the wincc flex to the 300 station?
The 300 station would send & recive data from the PLC station, Wincc flex would collect them, display them, and if needed would send some data back to the 300 station, wich would then send the altered data back to the b&r plc?
Is this even possible. I thought this up When I was dealing with the problem before, where i could insert the IF762 card to the 300 station, and couldn't insert it to the Simatic Pc, so why not have both... This plant allready has a 300 station wich is not in use at the moment.

Hello again NoName.

Your idea is also possible. Not pretty, but certainly possible. :)

You can Connect WinCC Flex via MPI to the PLC, and from the PLC to B&R via DP.

Or, you can connect WinCC Flex via Profibus to the PLC (normal OP connection, both PLC and PC as Profibus masters), and from PLC to B&R via DP. All on the same DP network.
Be sure to integrate everything in the same STEP7 project.

I would also try to hear what Siemens has to say about WinCC Flex not being able to be a DP master.
edit: I have digged into that a little bit more. It looks like WinCC Flex is never meant to be able to connect directly to DP i/o. Only way is via the OPC server, or an intermediary step like a PLC as go-between.

Last edited:
Hello again...

I just need one clarification...

I have inserted the IF762 card in the hardware configuration of a S7 station(CPU313C-2dp), and I have to configure it's modules(I/O's). I have configured these modules acording to the interface list that I got from GE, and when I download the configuration the signal lights SF(constant) and BF(blinking) apear.
When I go online no the If762 card these are the error's that it displays.
1.JPG

and
2.JPG

Is this being reported beacouse the configuration of the IF762 card and my configuration in the hardware manager differs? Or is it some other problem?

Last edited:
Hi again NoName.

On most Profibus DP slaves, they get configured upon powerup by the master.
However, I suspect that the B&R Profibus module must be setup by itself.
I have worked with another type of B&R PLC and Profibus card, and on that one, the number of i/o words were configured in the setup of the B&R PLC. The GSD file that I had to import had a fixed number of i/o words.

Are you setting up the B&R PLC yourself, or is someone else responsible for that ?