connecting/reading quantum 424x controllers

mr2toy

Hi, We have 2 Quantum controllers that are hooked up to a hub together with our server and computer. Eveything is fine until the laptop that we use to connect lost its hard drive. We are using TCP/IP communication from the laptop to the controllers. I cant seem to connect directly to one controller but i can use the other controllers TCP/IP and monitor the other one. We are using proworx nxt and when i do a netscan only one controller will show up the other one is just another ethernet terminal. Do i have to connect directly to each controller and read the program and then hook back up to the hub? I can access both programs but will only show one TCP/IP address, your help is appreciated,thanks.
Jun

Are you sure you have your TCP/IP addressing correct?
There is nothing special about the Quantum ethernet ports, you should be able to see both of them directly from the hub.

Thanks for your response Jim, I did some more troubleshooting today. I have Proworx nxt loaded freshly on the laptop, i found out that i can only connect to one controller cause when i do a netscan it only shows one PLC and the other PLC's IP address shows up as an Ethernet device, how do i change it to show up as a controller?
I have another computer that has Proworx on it and i can read both controllers cause it shows it when i do the proworx netscan. This tells me that there is some settings in Proworx that i need to change in the laptop to be able to show 2 PLC's during Netscan. Please help appreciate any feedback.

Jim, my TCP/IP addresses are correct and i dont have any problem with my desktop computer it can read both controllers, its the laptop that i can only read 1 controller as it shows the other one as and ethernet device. I doubt if it is a bug on Proworx i will check the software revision no. Please help i think it is just a setting in Proworx to identify the other controller, i think i might be missing something, thanks in advance.

Jun

I no longer have access to ProWORX NxT.

Is your problem that ProWORX on the desktop computer sees both CPUs but not when on the laptop? What Windows version are you running (NxT can be flaky on XP)? What do you see on Netscan if you only connect one CPU at a time? What does your desktop show when you run Netscan with both CPUs and your laptop connected to the hub.

Jim Dungar said:
Is your problem that ProWORX on the desktop computer sees both CPUs but not when on the laptop?

Yes, i only see 1 PLC in laptop.

What Windows version are you running (NxT can be flaky on XP)?

I am running windows 2000pro on both, never had this problem before the hard disk on the laptop died.
What do you see on Netscan if you only connect one CPU at a time? What does your desktop show when you run Netscan with both CPUs and your laptop connected to the hub.

Same thing laptop sees 1 PLC and desktop sees 2, I'm stumped!

thanks,
Jun

Problem fixed! The Proworx loaded on the laptop is version 2 and when i put the patch to upgrade to ver. 2.2 special 6, the laptop was able to see both controllers. I never thought that this would cause the problem i was having, for some reason Proworx would not let you open 2 controllers using version 2 software.
Thanks Jim for all your help I was seeing all the controller/computers hooked up to the hub using Netscan on the desktop but on the laptop one controller TCP/IP was showing as an Ethernet device and that was the reason why i was not able to connect to it before. This has pointed me that the problem lies within Proworx and sure enough when i applied the patch everything works. Funny thing is i dont see anything on the revision notes for version 2.2 special 6 about this problem.
I will post the changes made in Ver. 2.2 special 6 for you guys when i come back to work next week. Again thank you for all your help.
Jun