Modicon DimAwareness problem

khalid_inayat

I am working on Modicon CPU 434 , yesterday i got the message when i was trying to go online through modbus port "CPU in Dim Awareness".
After this message CPU is not responding and i m also trying flash exec which is also showing the same message.

How can i remove this problem.

Can't remember the exact procedure, I'm sure someone will elaborate. When you get Dim Awareness, you have to completely re-boot the PLC from scratch.

Dim Awarness :)

The Ol' PLC has lost its memory. There is no configuration, traffic cop, nothing. You must now reload everything back into memory. Before you upload the files you may want to check the battery. Unless this is a new installation, your battery or memory card has failed. Im not sure about the 484, but the 584 has a tendancy to just fail without warning. Ive had to change memory cards many times. It was an age thing. You can still buy 484 and 584s but maybe you should look at upgrading to 984 or quantum.

Bruce99 said:
You can still buy 484 and 584s but maybe you should look at upgrading to 984 or quantum.

Dont know about 484 and 584's but the 984's are definatly oblsolete..

If the run light is flashing you may also be in kernal mode..to upgrade the flash you must go on line serialy..you cannot do that over modbus or mb+

D

All the old stuff is no longer manufactured, starting from July this year (2006)...
You may still be able to get spares. If you are looking at upgrading, then a Quantum is probably a good idea. Second hand parts may still be available from people who are upgrading (Such as us, but not for the 484 and not just yet...)

I would also mention that I had my first "Dim Awareness" fault on a Quantum I was bench testing the other day. I could not recover at first. Eventually, I found that my Modbus cable was faulty, and this was preventing me from downloading. I also found that the manual's modbus cable configuration for a Quantum was in-correct, so when I made up another cable, this was also wrong.

Doug_Adam said:
I also found that the manual's modbus cable configuration for a Quantum was in-correct, so when I made up another cable, this was also wrong.

Sounds about right!!