Wireless connection to remote S7 I/O

emtim

Hi, can anyone suggest a proven method for wireless control of a remote S7 or Allen Bradley I/O station.
The remote I/0 is mounted on a cart that travels a distance of 80meters. Would like to avoid cabling through energy chain as this contain high current variable speed drive cabling.

Hello emtim.

For S7, the way easiest is to put a gateway for connecting Wireless Profinet to wired Profibus.
There is an all-in-one unit: For "outside USA/Canada" 6GK1417-5AB00 and for "inside USA/Canada" 6GK1417-5AB01.
Apart from that, Siemens has a comprehensive portfolio for Wireless Profinet.

There are also other possibilities.
This thread discusses wireless Profibus:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=25114

For AB, there are 3rd party suppliers for wireless Ethernet/IP.
Google for "Ethernet/IP Wireless" and you will find several (Prosoft is one).

Same for DeviceNet. Omron and maybe also others have Wireless DeviceNet devices.

We have used Device Net via infa red, easy to set up + very stable. I believe they were Sick devices