Opinions Please

eld101

Hello everyone,

I am currently a senior in Electrical Engineering and will be graduating in the spring. As I begin my job search, I have seen and have started applying to companies as large as Rockewell Automation, and as small as a local Engineering/Control/PLC type company with 20-30 employees.

I am curious about everyones thoughts on the larger corperations vs the smaller localized companies.

I know with rockwell, they pretty much dictate where you will be working and can possibly move you when ever they want. With the smaller companies you are a lot more likely to stay put, but risk poorer benefits and such.

What other advise can you guys share?

Thanks,
Eric

Since 1st job out of college usually last no more then 2-3 years. Don't worry too much about it. Having said that, I would go for larger co because:

1. Usually the pay is better for inexperience folks in big corporation.

2. You can change field/department if ended up not liking what you do.

3. You get to make contact/friend that will be helpful later in your career.

i started in a big co. but hated what I did then they transferred me to doing control work which I found to my liking. I also get to know a lot of folks that I kept in touch with.

Also, I know of very few small co that are willing to take on training new college graduates.

Thanks for the info.

I sent this smaller company my resume last week and the called me today stating they wanted to interview me friday and possibly start me as part time untill I graduate.

I dont know, it was a poor assumption. That is why im asking for personal experiences.

Any one know what the typical starting salary is for someone fresh out of school doing plc type work for a consulting company?