Hmi->plc Data Transfer

TOMC

I have a Moeller MV4 HMI conected to an AB SLC 5/04 PLC. Everything is working fine. I have programmed in a Recipe object so the customer can load different part numbers (5 so far) and the data to go along with each part number. A selection is made from the screen and downloaded to the PLC. This works great I am very happy with the result. Now heres the problem. The recipe object saves the recipe names as string data. This is ok except for the fact that the HMI software does not recognize that the 5/04 can accept string data. I have had to address an integer file. Now what can I do to get this string data that is an integer to be an integer.

--This is ok except for the fact that the HMI software does not recognize that the 5/04 can accept string data.

Please explain??? You cannot use a ST type variable???

--I have had to address an integer file. Now what can I do to get this string data that is an integer to be an integer.

Even if it is written to an integer file the HMI should still read out the string has a string if the HMI objects data fromat i set to string, Am I missing something??

It has been my experience that when you connect cross platform HMI's
and PLC's that you are limited to the types of address types. With AB I have found that it is usually integer files and bit files. The HMI can read and write the string data to the integer file no problem. It is sending the data and recieving the same data. The PLC on the other hand will not manipulate the integer data as string data. Now I could be wrong on this, I am not sure. I have not done alot of sting manipulation. I want to log this part number with the rest of the data for the production run. Maybe I am all backwards I dont know. I have put an email into Germany to see if they can give me an answer.

If you want to manipulate the data in a string file, do a COP from the integer file to the string file. You will need to specify length in the number of integers you want to copy and there are two characters per integer. Thus, you will probably want to fill that area of the integer file with nulls (0's) before you transfer the informaiton from the HMI.