PLC Costs

hello, my name is Alex,
i am currently on my second year at college studying electronic and hardware engineering and i have recieved a research assignment on Programmable Logic Controllers.

i would like to know some prices of typical PLCs with and without analogue inputs.

if anyone could refer me to any websites or just drop me a line with a little help it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for you time

Alex

Last edited:
how many analog inputs you have?? u can look for Allenbradley, Automation direct or keyence PLCs in ebay...u will find some used plcs for cheaper price.

That's a really, really hard question to answer.

There are small PLC's that you can purchase for less than $100US. These are obviously very limited in capabilities, but they work for what they were designed for.

At the top end of the prices... I just put in the largest PLC system I've ever done (Allen-Bradley ControlLogix). The price for the PLC, with all of the racks, IO modules, communication stuff, processors, etc., was in excess of $400,000. Obviously, a much, much larger, more capable system, with lots of analog IO. And that doesn't even technically include the DeviceNet stuff that was going out to the 40+ VFD's.

Bottom line, if you want a good answer to your question, you're going to have to narrow down your requirements.

Seeing as your UK Based try www.rswww.com

Catergory - Electrical,Automation and cables
Sub Catergory - Process Control
PLCs/Logic Modules & Data Acquisition
All sorts there - Siemens,Allen Bradley,Omron etc

Hope this helps

kittydog42 said:
Hot damn. I hope that came with a 55-gallon drum of Vaseline. That must be a fun project.

It was an incredibly fun job ... except for the startup sked. Nobody wanted to give me time to really do an IO check. The IO check was "Press the Start Button and see what works and what doesn't. Then fix what doesn't..."

Wow, without an I/O check I'd make sure I was as far away from the process as possible when the 'start button' was pressed.

Nobody wanted to give me time to really do an IO check. The IO check was "Press the Start Button and see what works and what doesn't. Then fix what doesn't..."
I thought that was normal. The mechanical people have been holding you up for months and all of a sudden "we are ready why aren't you?". Great being last in.

Good project with that many I/O. The largest I had was 25,000 I/O plus about 3000 I/o transmitted on the network. SCADA over the top as well. Did the lot myself. Congratulations. I hope all is well for you.

My favorite project was a machine for assembling tires. Two full racks of modules.

GE Fanuc 9030 price (with software, manuals, and service) was $2,300 (the anybody price).

The Allen Badly price (Special discount, NO software, NO service, NO manuals) $24,000. Lunch optional, suit and tie included.

And GE offered free software training AND free lunch. NO suit and tie.

Gotta Love It!

regards.....kc

CaseyK said:
My favorite project was a machine for assembling tires. Two full racks of modules.

GE Fanuc 9030 price (with software, manuals, and service) was $2,300 (the anybody price).

The Allen Badly price (Special discount, NO software, NO service, NO manuals) $24,000. Lunch optional, suit and tie included.

You are saying the 9030 list price averaged less than $100/module, including the processor?

Why do you keep doing this Casey? You know that information is inaccurate to say the least, the "everday" price for GE 90-30 is along the same level as AB, the only means to obtain a major discount is with a multiplier (discounts) that is based on prior purchases. I, personally, am very doubtful that any of the major brands will put together a comparable system (to another brand) at 10% of retail.

Usually the big issue in price between brands is software cost. When I purchased VersaPro it was around $700 with discount, RSLogix500 was $500 or $1100, depending on version needed, without disccunt.

Pricing is subjective depending on usage etc, the only company that I am aware with fixed pricing is automationdirect; not sure they do not offer discounts though but their retail pricing is reasonable compared to others.

CaseyK said:
...GE Fanuc 9030 price (with software, manuals, and service) was $23,000 (the anybody price).

The Allen Badly price (Special discount, NO software, NO service, NO manuals) $24,000. Lunch optional, suit and tie included...

KC just forgot a 0 ....thats a $1000.00 dollar saving, I once had a $1000.00 suit, but the tie was extra :D