Motor Wiring

Greg Dake

Greetings everyone! We have a couple Tsurumi submersible sump pumps to hook up and we're uncertain of the wiring. They are 480V 15 HP pumps. There are 3 cables coming out of each pump. The conductors are as follows:

1 cable has two conductors, black and white, I'm assuming these are thermal sensing for the motor.

2 cables, each has three conductors. The first three are labled U1, V1, W1. The second cable's conductors are labled U2, V2, W2.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Greg

Connecting T1, T2, and T3 To U1, V1, W1 respectively, should give you a clockwise direction looking at the shaft end of the motor.

I would only be speculating on the U2 series; different speed? another motor? Run the same motor the other direction? Do you have any documentation? If not, I would take careful meter readings to determine the relationship of these two sets of windings.

Greg Dake said:
1 cable has two conductors, black and white, I'm assuming these are thermal sensing for the motor.

2 cables, each has three conductors. The first three are labled U1, V1, W1. The second cable's conductors are labled U2, V2, W2.

Depending on the pump the Black-White 2 core could be

Klixon - Temperature Switch in Windings or
PTS - Temperature Sensor in Windings

or it could also be an

Oil Bath Probe/s - Moisture sensor in Oil Bath of Pump

The leads U1-U2 is a winding pair V1-V2 is a Winding pair and W1-W2 is the third winding pair. Depending on the pump motor and nameplate would depend on if the pump is connected in Star or Delta.

Whats the nameplate say ?

Are you connecting DOL or star delta ?

Submersible pump

Thanks for the responses everyone! The manual for the motor/pump eventually turned up. The black and white wire is actually a leak detector, I guess something closes contacts when water breaches the seal on the motor casing. The 3 phase wiring for DOL is :

U1-U2-Line 1

V1-V2-Line 2

W1-W3-Line 3

Greg