CompactLogix I/O numbering conventions?

James Fillmore

Lifetime Supporting Member
My VERY FIRST CompactLogix job after programming PLC2's, PLC5's, SLC500's and Micrologix for the past 20+ years (WOW has it been that LONG?). On a SLC500 progject an input would be I:01/00. An output would be O:02/15. What are you guys using to name CompactLogix I/O. In the manual it's like Local01:.Data0 or something. Would my guys put THAT on a wire number?

Help - I can finish my I/O drawings till I find this out.

CompactLogix (and the other Logix5000 controllers) allow users to name their tags.

For example, instead of using Local2IData.0, you can name the I/O point Conveyor_Start (or a similar descriptive term). That way, someone who is looking at the program will get a good idea of what the input or output does--as long as you are consistent with your naming.

Good luck on your first project. You will find lots of knowledge here, so don't be afraid to ask questions!

Rick

I understand while writing the software you use names like "PushThisPBFirst" BUT I'm talking ablout real world wire labels. Are you telling me you have a terminal rotation with "PushThisPBFirst" and "MotorStarter1" ON THE WIRE LABELS? My guys would FREAK. It would be confusing! How would you organize the rotation? Alphabetically? :)

All this this tounge in cheek. Like I said, i've been doing this for 25 years. I'm sure there is a NUMBERING convention and not "tags" used for wire numbers.

What was your old labeling system? if it was I:1/1 then why not keep it the same? just because the PLC system changed...you dont have to change your labels, for me that part stays the same

Hello James;

When you create a Tag, you can "connect" it to a real input and output address. This is called an alias; have a look at some aliased tags in one of my controllogix projects:

Clogix_Tag_Alias2.jpg

You can add an alias to a tag at any time, although we generally start by using our I/O point list to set tags and aliases at the beginning of the project.

Look up local and remote I/O addressing and aliases in the online help, I think this will clear up things pretty well.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
So -00_CH_01_YA_01 (pretty cryptic) is the label that would be seen on contacts in the program.

AL2_LCP_001_01:1:I.Data.0 is the I/O address. Can you break that down for me? Also would you put those 25 characters on a real world wire label? Or would you use something like I:11/00. What do your people actually put on the wire labels?

Thanks

PS How long have you / your company been using Contrologix or Compactlogix?

I think it still helps to know where the other end of the wire is going - my last contrologix had the IO side of the terminal blocks labelled like:

I1_01
O4_15

Using the obvious "I" and "O", the module number in the rack, and the actual I/O. It's easy when troubleshooting to read the tag, look up, count over, and see the status of the module.

In the program, I alias the boring I/O, and use a more descriptive tag.

So, my IO would be LocalI1:Data0, aliased as I1_01, which in turn is aliased as "Remote OCRAP! button". Contrologix doesn't care. And you can use either alias to reference the IO as you see fit.

Oh, and retrain your techs on how to count IO, no octal on the CL IO.

Last edited:
Hello James;

Yeah, looks pretty criptic, but tags follow the P&IDs in our plant:

_00_CH_01_YA_01 breaks down to:
Zone : 00 for chileers, 11 chiller evaporator, 41 for chiller condensor...
CH ; chiller, P : pumps, ZSO : valve open limit switch...

01 : number of the equiment (in this palnt we have 10 chillers)

YA_01 is the number of the alarm signal we expect from the chiller

This, by the way, is what we put on the wire labels.

Now for AL2_LCP_001_01:1:I.Data.0

This is the name we give to the CNBR module that connects the IO to the main processor.
AL2 is the symbol for our plant (AL-Ain-02)
LCP_001_01 signifies Local control panel 1, rack 1
:1 is the Controllogix indication for slot 1
:I.Data.0 means a digital input, channel 0

The easiest way for you tyo get familiar with this is to create your own IO configuration in RSLogix5000 and look at the Controller tags to see what tags are automatically created by the software (based on the modules you select in the cofiguration). Then create bogus tags that you will alias to the IO tags.

Here's a look at my configuration for the AL:2 project:

Clogix_IOConfig.jpg

We've been using Controllogix in our projects for the past 4 years (since I've been involved anyway). Great platform.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hydro Power Guy said:
We use our standard wire labeling convention and do not treat I/O any differently then other wires.

OT - Born and raised in York. Grew up on East Market St till 7. then moved to Detroit. Still have family there. I'm amazed at how often I see York, PA in newspapers, magazines, radio, etc!

Oh, and thanks. Our systems are small >256I/O assembly automation workcells with nothing more complicated than some T/C inputs, barcode scanners and an HMI (QuickPanels, new QuickPanel Views and now PanelView Pluses).

I recently went to a panelView Plus training class at AB. I think I was the only person in the class who WASN'T using Compact or ControlLogix!

For what is worth, this is the numbering convention at the plant I work at using ControLogix.

I_Local_7_(4)
I = Input
Local = local rack (same rack as processor)
7 = Slot number
(4) Input number

Networked I/O are as follows:
O_20308_(6)
I = Output
2 = Comm module position in Local rack
03 = Network address for remote rack
08 = Slot number in remote rack
(6) = Output number

We create UDT's in the program that correspond to the above labeling. i.e O_20308, I_Local_7, etc. It is not perfect, but it works for us.

Patrick

James Fillmore said:
My VERY FIRST CompactLogix job after programming PLC2's, PLC5's, SLC500's and Micrologix for the past 20+ years (WOW has it been that LONG?). On a SLC500 progject an input would be I:01/00. An output would be O:02/15. What are you guys using to name CompactLogix I/O. In the manual it's like Local01:.Data0 or something. Would my guys put THAT on a wire number?

Help - I can finish my I/O drawings till I find this out.

Below is a description that I follow when developing an application. When I'm consistent and describe the naming convention to customers, they are able to troubleshoot effectively when the system is turned over to them.

Hope this helps!

I/O Modules:
Syntax:
aaaaa_bbbbcc_dddd_See_ffff

Where:
aaaaa Network Name (If Module is not in local chassis)
bbbb Network Type (If Module is not in local chassis)
CNET – ControlNet
ENET – Ethernet
DNET – Devicenet
DH – Data Highway
RIO – Remote I/O
cc Node/Rack/TCPIP address (Depending on type of Comm Module) of Communication Module
(If Module is not in local chassis)
dddd Type of Comm Module or Adapter
Local – Module in local chassis
Remote – Module in remote chassis
Flex – Flex I/O Module
PV – Panelview
ee Slot number of module
ffff Place the catalog number here without the first four identifying digits.

Examples:
Local_S02_IB16
An IB16 Input Module located in the local chassis in slot 2

IOnetwork_CNet02_Flex_S02_IB16
An IB16 Flex I/O module located off of ControlNet node 3 in slot 2.

Most of my customers are used to the SLC and PLC platforms so I label the ControlLogix, CompactLogix the same way. For example, I will use I:1/03 for the 3rd point on the input card in slot 1.

Most of my customers are used to the SLC and PLC platforms so I label the ControlLogix, CompactLogix the same way.

We still do it the same way to. The nice thing about this is if they upgrade from a SLC 504 to a Compact or ControlLogix, the only thing I have to change in the I/O drawings is the name of the module. It makes it easier on me as well as well as the sparky's.