RSView ME problem

lalion

Hi all,

Im having trouble running RSView Studio (machine addition V4), and interested to find if anyone else has experienced the errors im getting. First of all I installed everything I needed to without any problems. I go to run RSView Studio and get the error message,

Cannot connect to addin object.
Name: Application Handler
Cause: 80042089

I click ok, then get the following message.

RSLinx Enterprise cannot run on this computer because the FactoryTalk Local Directory has not been configured. To configure the FactoryTalk Local Directory, run Start>Programs>Rockwell Software>FactoryTalk Tools>FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard.

So I run FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard. Checking that FactoryTalk Local Directory is ticked, then click next, the following is displayed

Exception from HRESULT: 0x800420E

Occasionally after rebooting I dont get the errors when trying to run RSView Studio.

Speaking to Rockwell support, they got me to check services running, there were two missing (Rockwell HMI Alarm logger & Rockwell FactoryTalk... ?? i didn't write them down). They seam to think that it points to my firewall application (im running ZoneAlarm Pro), specifically having it running when I installed RSView Studio. Im going to try un-installing firewall, uninstalling & re-installing RSView Studio tonight and see if it helps, but if anyone has hit these errors or has advise on these, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Leon

Good luck....

I spent days trying to get Studio 4.0 to run on my laptop. In my case, it would run but would not allow me to save a graphic screen or create a runtime file. The error I got was "Unable to save tag database". I tried everything the support folks suggested, disable firewall, uninstall virus protection, etc. Nothing worked. I finally reformatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP.

We are not alone. Most everyone I know has had trouble getting 4.0 to work properly.

We bought some XP "Home" computers for an application. RSView ME installed, but Factorytalk would not. We aren't even using any of the features, but it HAS to be there. Had to upgrade to "Pro", even though all our software says "XP compatible", no "Home", no "Pro". Aggravating to have to upgrade an operating system for software you aren't even using.

danny.michael said:
We are not alone. Most everyone I know has had trouble getting 4.0 to work properly.

Is hyperthreading still a problem for version 4.0? I remember having similar issues until we turned it off.

This is probably why they suggest securities problem

This came from the knowledgebase.

Cannot connect to Addin object; Application Handler; HRESULT: 0x8004204E Error.
trnsp.gif
Question Cannot connect to Addin object; Application Handler; HRESULT: 0x8004204E Error
trnsp.gif
Answer When starting RSview Studio ME, the following errors pop up:
Factory Talk Studio
Cannot connect to Addin object

If you try to run Factory Talk Directory Configuration Wizard get error
"HRESULT: 0x8004204E"

Norton Internet security -
Turned off internet securities
Catalog Number:
DocFullNum: A146261193
Revision:4.00 (CPR 7)
Fixed in Revision:
Package:
Module:

russrmartin said:
This came from the knowledgebase.

Cannot connect to Addin object; Application Handler; HRESULT: 0x8004204E Error.​

trnsp.gif
Question Cannot connect to Addin object; Application Handler; HRESULT: 0x8004204E Error
trnsp.gif
Answer When starting RSview Studio ME, the following errors pop up:
Factory Talk Studio
Cannot connect to Addin object

If you try to run Factory Talk Directory Configuration Wizard get error
"HRESULT: 0x8004204E"

Norton Internet security -
Turned off internet securities
Catalog Number:
DocFullNum: A146261193
Revision:4.00 (CPR 7)
Fixed in Revision:
Package:
Module:

Here the Tech note says

Similar problem?

Hi To All (from new member)

I have a similar problem to the one in this thread...

RSView studio was installed and working OK till I recently deleted a Serial driver from the “Local” connection. After that RSView studio would not open, it just hung at the first screen. I tried various ideas, but no luck.

I have now totally un-installed all RSView/Factory Talk/Enterprise and Logix programs.

A search of the hard disk revealed 16 folders full of Rockwell stuff, these were manually deleted.

I then re-installed Factory Talk/RSView and Enterprise.

The problem is when I use the Factory Talk Directory Configuration Wizard, and select the “Local” directory, the wizard just hangs. Only way out is to end the task using task manager.

If I run the Factory Talk diagnostics viewer at the same time I get the following message...

Factory Talk Directory Multiplexor Failed to connect to Factory Talk Scope Directory, in “$Local” scope. The connection may be re-established at a later time. I also get the following error code... Error H Result=”0x80042002” Location= “.\ RNADirServerProxy.cpp Line: 7167

So, what does all this mean. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alan

Firewall

My previous post of the knowledgebase file indicates that the firewall is causing complications to the application. If possible, disable your firewall, and the connect to addin object errors should dissappear. Also, if you must keep the firewall, you should be able to adjust permissions such that ME is able to perform it's operations.

I have seen the FT directory config wizard hang up. Seems like there were some software packages installed that were not CPR7 releases. If memory serves me correctly, I had to get rid of all of the CPR6 and before software, unistall FTAP, then install FTAP again from the hard drive. At the time I was experiencing these problems, I was trying to load the software from a remote location, and tech support told me that this could cause some issues. Good luck.

Russ

Just hit the same problem after a Zone Alarm update. Used to be just turning the firewall off was all that was required. Now I found it necessary to disable it at boot to get past the problem.

IamZed said:
Just hit the same problem after a Zone Alarm update. Used to be just turning the firewall off was all that was required. Now I found it necessary to disable it at boot to get past the problem.

Welcome to the world of ZoneAlarm. It's truly a horrible product that will take over your computer entirely, with unpredictable results. Your best bet would be to get rid of it entirely and go with a better firewall, like Comodo.

The Factory talk system used by rockwell is like trying to get into a bunker, or more into Fort Knox.

The rule is that before you install any rockwell based Factory Talk software, you ensure that all the safety locks of the PC are Off, antivirus, firewall, administrative privileges, etc.
Once you installed your soft, be sure not to make any change to the identity of your PC. Rockwell Software will assimilate any change, HD S.N, Computer name, domain, etc to a tentative of a piracy. and it will lock your soft. Also the best OS running with Rockwell soft is Windows 2000, other wise, stick to XP PRO SP2, and Try to turn off Automatic Live Update.

Ban Vista with rockwell