RSview and SLC 505 Coms Problem.

Julian Osborn

Hi all

Having problems with communications to RSView32. It all started last week when I had an error on the SLC and had to reset it, it looked fine..... had the 500 ladder running and code is working fine.... turned on the SCADA Machine running RSview32 and all the tags on the screen associated with the SLC were blank in the usual no coms way... ok i thought lets start the code and see if coms are fine, even purchased a cheep XP machine on the new, installed linx, and new RSlogix500, all working fine on this machine now i have a full list in the Lynx comms panel but RSview still does not want to play? checked all the node and the channel setup yep all looks good. even tels me in the Lynx STATUS for the SLC505 that it is in remote run. Look on the old machine and in the Lynx status it says Faulted? have rebooted the SCADA Machine and still has a problem with comms.

at the bottom of the RSview in the new machine status bar it says " Channel 2 error - (IP ADDRESS) "The communications driver has not been
configured"

if the processor or network had any fault then I would not be able to see the Ladder part of the plc, this works telling me that there is no problems with comms.

Check the suggestion in this thread

August 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Can ping the PLC OK, but still get the same error message in RSView "channel 1 error (192.168.0.6) the communication driver has not been configured"
Have also backed up and restored the RSlinx file, that seemed to go OK,and can now see the topics

I suspect that you do not have TCP/IP set in channels of your RSView project folder

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/uploads/RSVCh.JPG

can you post your channel setup and check that your SLC IP matches the one in RSView wondering if it might have had a dynamic assignment DHCP or Bootp and rebooting caused it to grab a new address.

Also is you rsview project on the same PC as RSLogix if not I would make sure it's ip or subnet hasn't been changed

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

If this was all working fine, and you haven't been changing around any settings for the RSView32 project since the SLC fault, then the problem is most likely to be with the driver in RSLinx Classic.

If you can access the following (it requires you have a Rockwell TechConnect Contract) then have a look and rule in or out any of the suggestions...

9534 - Channel 1 Error (xx) - Communication driver has not been configured
Access Level: TechConnect

I don't think it will be any of those as this was working fine and you say that your channel configuration looks good. Again, I assume it has not changed since it was working OK?

The following technote (also TechConnect) refers to the driver in RSLinx Classic and how you may need to restart it...

3297 - Communication Driver has not been configured -2147483637
Access Level: TechConnect

I believe this will be more closely related to your problem. If restarting the driver does not work then it's also possible that the driver may have become corrupted. It may need to be deleted and recreated. Failing that, you may need to delete the Harmony files and start afresh.

Try the restart first (if you have not already) and let us know how you get on?

Regards,
George