PLC tags in HMI -RSView SE

cjjeeper

Okay, something I have not seen before..

RSView SE. I am working on an existing project. There is a value the customer wants trended and it is on the HMI. It is in the PLC as a tag (RS5000 20.05) It can be written to and read from the HMI. All is good.

I added the tag to the Historian. It is reading the values and logging data. All is good.

I open a configurable trend and I browse for the tag under Data and the correct PLC and the tag is not visible. I modify a existing parameter file to populate the tag name in a trend that is exists and works with other tags and the message I get is that the tag cannot be found. All is not good.

I open the Factory Talk Live Data Test client and browse to the PLC and click on "Online"..it populates a tag list and my tag is not in it. I double click on "Online" and in the window to the right and I CAN locate the tag. I add it to see the path and it is no different than the path from any other tag. It is being read and has good value.

I'm not sure why I cannot access this tag for a trend. It is a legit tag configured as an INT and it is at the Main Level (above the Main Program Level) so Globally accessible.

What am I missing here?

Check your tag in logix...is it controller scope or a program scope? You mentioned main level, so maybe that's what you meant, but double checking. Program scoped tags dont show up in the browser natively I believe.

For troubleshooting purposes, create a new PLC tag from scratch and copy/move the problematic PLC tag to it. For example, MOV "Original_PLC_Tag" to "Test_PLC_Tag". Now try accessing/trending the new Test_PLC_Tag . This sometimes helps me find issues I previously missed . Make sure Test_PLC_Tag is created from scratch and configured exactly how you want it

Also you say RSView SE, I'm not sure if you mean RSView32 or FactoryTalk View SE. If RSView 32, there is a Tag Monitor tool , see below, page 4-29

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/vw32-um001_-en-e.pdf

I don't know if there is something similar for FTVSE. I searched the FTVSE user manual and didn't find anything. If you have Rockwell tech connect, you could call them, and ask if they have something similar to the RSView32 Tag Monitor for FTVSE

The last time I had this problem with a SE Networked application, tech support pretty much blew me off, saying "wait for the next release and upgrade". I think that was v10.

Things to try:

1. Do the 'Refresh All Folders' function in the HMI server tag browser.
2. Put the value on a graphic screen and re-start the client.
3. Apply the current Patch kit (if you dare).
4. Re-boot your system (if you can).