Dataxport in Unitronics

2rlp

Hi All,

Dataxport in Unitronics is a softwre by which the process variables in an Unitronics PLC can be periodically logged on a PC as an Excel file.

My query is that this software runs on a PC & polls the PLC at regular pre-determined intervals. One can even force a poll thru the PC. Is it possible to use this data logging feature as an event based feature? ie In a proccess can I force the PLC to send this data to the PC, on say a completion of a particular task.

Thanking you all in advance

Ron

2rlp said:
Hi All,

Dataxport in Unitronics is a softwre by which the process variables in an Unitronics PLC can be periodically logged on a PC as an Excel file.

My query is that this software runs on a PC & polls the PLC at regular pre-determined intervals. One can even force a poll thru the PC. Is it possible to use this data logging feature as an event based feature? ie In a proccess can I force the PLC to send this data to the PC, on say a completion of a particular task.

Thanking you all in advance

Ron

Hello Ron,

DataXport is designed to let the PC call in to the PLC to collect data. The idea is that it leaves the computer free to do other things besides data collection. Having the PLC initiate communications means they have to be online all the time, which kind of defeats the purpose of logging data locally.

That said, there are a few ways to do this, if you the "online" thing is not a problem for you:

1. If the connection between the PLC and PC is ethernet, set the PC to "Listen" (the last row in the "PC PORT" settings). Then the PLC can perform a "Connect" to the defined port. This will prompt DataXport, while connected, to trigger a data transfer and then disconnect.

2. If the link is by GSM modem, have the controller send an SMS message to force the transfer. See the "Force call" help topic for details.

Starting from here, there are a number of workarounds possible. For instance set DataXport to "Use FIFO pointers" (Tables menu) and set DataXport to call the PLC every 60 seconds. If the pointers are unchanged, no transfer takes place. On your trigger event, change the pointer in the PLC and data will be transferred.

Lastly, call or email Unitronics tech support. The phone number and email address are available at the website, www.unitronics.com. I learned this information from them, and they can certainly help you. Best of all, it's free :)

Good Luck!

TM