Laptop not recognizing ethernet connection to S7317 2PN\DP

BamaDave

I have connected my laptop to the plc without any problems
but when I try to connect wity another laptop I am having problems. The ethernet symbol in the corner is not even showing that the CAT5 cable is plugged in? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like you might need to set your ip address and subnet mask in your lan settings on your laptop, ask how if you are unsure of how to do this

Already configured, I have one laptop that is working, my personal one. I am trying to configure another, a fresh installation of windows XP with s7 v5.3 sp1. It is not recognizing the module. I can unplug the cat5 from the module and plug it into another pc and it shows a network connection. I go back to the ethernet module on the plc and it dies?

BamaDave said:
Already configured, I have one laptop that is working, my personal one. I am trying to configure another, a fresh installation of windows XP with s7 v5.3 sp1. It is not recognizing the module. I can unplug the cat5 from the module and plug it into another pc and it shows a network connection. I go back to the ethernet module on the plc and it dies?

When you have the new laptop plugged into the other PC that shows the network connection, can you "ping" it from there?

no, because when i try to ping it it says that "media is disconnected". In other words, it isn't seeing that anything at all is plugged into the ethernet port on my laptop.

Using LM90 (GE Fanuc) with ethernet, the programming software requires the MAC address of the module. I don't know if yours does and I also realize that you said that XP isn't seeing it, but if you can talk to this module using one PC and not another, you'll have to start looking for differences.

yes, obvisouly the problem is with the laptop, i am supposing that since it is a fresh installation of XP that I need some type of dll files that has been installed on the working laptop but not the nonmorking one. I was hoping that someone may have ran into the same situation before.

There was a thread almost similar to this one some time ago.
I think the problem was that if you have a direct connection between the PC and the S7, then the autonegotiation doesnt work on all computers.
Do you have a crossed ethernet cable ?
Try to put a switch in between the PC and the PLC and see if that fixes the problem.