Panelview Plus to ML1100 Tag Comms

mattk_r

I'm attempting to connect my Panelview Plus 600 to a Micrologix 1100 via ethernet, but am struggling with the tag setup in ME. I've tried what I can extract from the help files, but I keep getting the error "The item '[PLCT]N7:0' does not exist on any server." when I test run the HMI app on the PC, or after creating the runtime and downloading into the display.

I'm running RSView Studio ME with RSLinx Enterprise (I previously had installed and later uninstalled RSLinx Classic) and I do see both the display and the PLC in the Linx Gateways, Ethernet.

From what I understand, I need to create a shortcut under the RSLinx Enterprise Communication Setup, which I created a shortcut called PLC pointing to the Target PLC.

Then in the Tags window, I created a tag pointing to a device with the following syntax: [PLCT]N7:0

I suspect that I'm either not addressing the PLC correctly, or I dont' have the communications configured correctly.

I've previously done S7-621 and TD200 displays fine, but the AB code is throwing me for a loop.

Thanks

==Matt

There may be other issues you need to check, but one problem looks like the syntax of the shortcut. I'm sure you need to preceed the target with :: ie "::[PLCT]N7:0" (without the quotes).

Can you see the PV+ from enterprise when browsing?

I do see the PV (and PLC) in the local tab, as well as the PLC in the Target tab. I re-tried that syntax ::[PLCT]N7:0, but no go. Same error message.

I started getting errors writing to the tag database, so I (again) created a new project. This time in the RS Linx Enterprise, I didn't copy the Local device to Target, and after creating the shortcut to the PLC it worked! I'm still a bit unclear as to what had gone wrong, and need to explore the fine details, but for now I can see the PLC data on my HMI.
Thanks for the syntax info!

Looks like I went from one issue to another.

I can communicate via RSView to the PLC fine while developing the display, but when I create the runtime and download it to PV+, it doesn't work.

I'm presuming because it doesn't have anything to interpret the shortcut name I had been using in RSLinx Enterprise, and needs a literal address?

Hmmmm.

If you do not have a communications path set up in the Target tab in RSLinx Enterprise, the PanelView Plus will not communicate with the ML 1100 when you download the runtime file.

I'm not sure why you were having trouble with both RSLinx Enterprise tabs the first time, but I wonder if there was a typo somewhere.

Here is what you wrote in an earlier message:

From what I understand, I need to create a shortcut under the RSLinx Enterprise Communication Setup, which I created a shortcut called PLC pointing to the Target PLC.

Then in the Tags window, I created a tag pointing to a device with the following syntax: [PLCT]N7:0

From this, I wasn't sure if you were using the shortcut [PLC] or [PLCT]. As long as you were consistent, it would not matter what you named the shortcut. However, if you tried to type the shortcut, perhaps a slip of the finger occurred...

Rick

Yeah, that was a typo on my part. I had tried quite a few combinations and tried to keep the names specific.

It boiled down to the shortcut pointing to the device in the Target tab, and the proper syntax in the tag. Once these two were correct, it all came together.

Thanks!