Step7 - Username not being logged in ProTool

RMA

I was just having a look through the logs in general when I noticed that the User Name of the currently logged on User isn't being stored in the message log in ProTool Pro as it ought to be .

According to the Help files the User Name at logon is treated as a System Message and if a message log has been created, the User Name will be logged there. I wanted to use this feature because as far as I can see, it's not possible to log STRINGs with the normal Variable logging in ProTool.

I've created a message log and defined that all three types of messages should be written to it, but while all the other System messages are logged, the User Name is not.

Anybody got any ideas what might be wrong?

I hadn't found that! I'm pretty sure it's not mentioned in the Help file either!

However, having checked that box, save, compiled and rebooted, it's still not logging the Username. I'll have to have a closer look and check that I've done it right.

Thanks in the meantime.

Cheers

Roy

Is it just the username that doesnt get logged, or is there no entry at all for when the user changes ?

I think that you had the same problem before. Didnt it get resolved back then ?

There's no entry at all. I don't remember having tried this out before. After discovering that I couldn't log the Username with the normal logging system, I settled for just logging the password level. There are only a few users and they all have different levels at present, but for the future it would be nice to have the users as well.

So you have made some kind of taglogging of the userlevel as an alternative ?

I have a "System Log" page. In the Message View, I have all 4 Message Classes selected. Alarm Message + Event Message + HMI System Message + Diagnosis Event.
Not sure which one the Password change is, but you can try them one by one.
The Message Archive field points to the Archive that I have setup for System Messages.

I think you might have the answer there Jesper. I don't have a log page or single line display here and I've just checked under System -> Screen / Buttons and both System and Fault displays are switched off. In that case, I guess it doesn't do any logging either.

I'll switch them on and try again.

No, that hasn't helped either, although I haven't rebooted this time, just recompiled and started the Run-time system from File -> Test.

One thing I've noticed, I'ved got single message line declared down at the bottom of the screen, shouldn't there be a message there when I log on? There's nothing showing at present.

Last edited:
I dont use the default alarm or event message views at all. They are Off/Off.
I have a page with active proces alarms, another with logged alarms and another page with system log.
In al three I have inserted a Message View. In the last two I have them setup to point to archives that I have setup for Alarms and System Messages respectively.
I dont think that the alarm system or logging depends on the alarm or event message view under the System .. Screen/Keys menu.

If you want I can check your project.
Just strip it down to the bare essentials and then zip and post it here (hope you dont use v6.0 SP3).