AB SLC5/02 plc with 1746HSCE module

mrbj

Higuys,
I have an existing AB 5/02 plc on an existing machine.
I have been asked to modify the machine so that it can determine the position of a product coming down the line.
Currently this is done by a proxy detecting a stud on a gear wheel.
It needs to be more accurate.
I propose to insert a 1746 HSCE card into a spare slot on the PLC and connect an encoder to it.
Does anyone know how I can access/program the module (Rs Logix 500 V5.20) so that I can count the pulse's etc and use them to set a bit in the ladder logic?. Or is the module a self contained unit?.
Any advice much appreciated.
Regards,
mrbj

Many thanks for the link and advice.
The spectrum site looks good.
Unfortunately, the client will only allow AB products to be installed.
So I still need some guidance on this.
In particular how to access / set up the 1746 HSCE card and how to build the ladder logic so that I can count the ppr etc..
All replies appreciated.
Regards,
mrbj

mrbj said:
Many thanks for the link and advice.
The spectrum site looks good.
Unfortunately, the client will only allow AB products to be installed.
So I still need some guidance on this.
In particular how to access / set up the 1746 HSCE card and how to build the ladder logic so that I can count the ppr etc..
All replies appreciated.
Regards,
mrbj

Spectrum is an AB encompass partner, so they have AB's blessing. In fact you will have to purchase the Spectrum card from your AB vendor. Plugs directly into the backplane, same form factor etc.... As close as you can get to an AB product without having the AB logo on it.