SoftPLC migration from SLC5/05

ArcReactorKC

I recently came into "ownership" of a system comprised of multiple SLC5/05 processors. Of course the fun no prints adventure exists as well as a program that is lets say illogical. As usual one of the processors is starting to lose it's Eprom. Any power disturbance dumps the program even with the new battery. I am in the process of installing a UPS on the system for a short term bandaid.

This facility is almost at the end of life cycle and will be moving elsewhere leaving this control system behind in the next 12-18 months so I'm not looking to do a full conversion to a CompactLogix system.

So it comes down to how to handle this failing processor. The program is too large for a MicroLogix or I would just keep the backplane as remote IO and have a micrologix do the thinking. I was pondering on going the SoftPLC route sending them all the info and buying another year or more on this aging system.

Has anyone done this and been satisfied with the result? I would love to rip out the entire system as so much of it is nonsensical but I just don't have the option since it will be left behind.

By "SoftPLC" do you mean the Austin, TX based A-B emulation company literally by that name ? They've been doing PLC/SLC translation for decades and are as good as they come.

Your problem is very probably a failing backplane or power supply. SLC controllers don't "lose" the program like it slipped out between the vents; they clear it because it was corrupted during the power shutdown process.

Whether or not using the SLC I/O with a 1747-ASB or 1747-AENTR will work for your application depends on your specialty modules and reaction speed needs, whether your primary controller is a ControlLogix or a SoftPLC.