PanelView/controlLogix/RIo

Blair

I am trying to communicate to PV 550 from a controlLogix processor through a RIO connection. Having trouble determining the addressing sceam to use and the communication setup. Anyone have any experience with this

Blair said:
I am trying to communicate to PV 550 from a controlLogix processor through a RIO connection. Having trouble determining the addressing sceam to use and the communication setup. Anyone have any experience with this

First you must configure the PV as a RIO rack in the configuration tree of the DHRIO card. The rack for PV must be configured for 8 slots. (Read a tech note on this somewhere). Attached examples are for a PV configired as rach #17

rio_1.JPG

rio_2.JPG

rio_3.JPG

rio_4.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I have already set up for my panelview to be a full rack (Rack 4 In our case). My problem is with setting up the block transfer. A couple of questions on your setup:
1. Is the destination tag in your Message instuction 32 elements long, the same lenght as your message instuction?
2.Is it required to set up a mapping sceam to this tag, i.e. plc5 mapping?
3. In the panelView software, what is required in setting up the addressing for block transfer?

Blair said:
Thanks for the info, I have already set up for my panelview to be a full rack (Rack 4 In our case). My problem is with setting up the block transfer. A couple of questions on your setup:
1. Is the destination tag in your Message instuction 32 elements long, the same lenght as your message instuction?
2.Is it required to set up a mapping sceam to this tag, i.e. plc5 mapping?
3. In the panelView software, what is required in setting up the addressing for block transfer?

1.The desitination tag is 128 element array of type INT

2.No mapping is required

3.The set up of RIO for a PV is dependant whether the PLC is contrologix or a PLC5. You may need to visit Rockwell's site to acquire manuals for PV programming using RIO cat# 2711-ND3

Ian

The block transfers are configured with the PB32 software - drill down from the comms tab. You can set up multiple block transfers to the same "slot" in the PV. The PV sorts them out by examining their lengths (each one unique) and then moves data to/from the tag addresses (in PLC-5 syntax) that you've set up in the PV.

In Curly's example, he is reading 32 integers into the ControlLogix array PV2_BTRDATA elements 0 - 31. The source tags in the PV would have addresses like N7:0 to N7:31.

communicating now

Thanks for the info again. I am communicating with the PanelView and seeing data transferring as long as it is an integer. Having trouble setting up a floating point value, seems like the floating point configuation in the PV differs from that in the ControlLogix.
Any comments on this?

As far as I'm aware, RIO and block transfers only deal in 16-bit integers. That is what the CLX MSG instruction implies as well.

Does the PV / PB32 accept floating point tags?
Can you set a floating point address in PB32 for one of the block transfers?

If so, you may be able to read the FP data as integers and copy to real (fp) tags in CLX to recover the values.