Need some advice for an S7 and HMI

Coops

I have a Siemens S7 314 PLC and a Siemens 370B Touch Screen HMI. I need to send some information to a pc in excel format (.csv).

What are the best (easiest) ways of sending this information.....i've tried using the data logger built in to the HMI but can only store this logged information to a storage card on the HMI is there away of sending this data to a pc using any of the ports on the hmi (ethernet, usb etc).

Look forward to your replies....Thanks.

Havent tried either of these methods before. Setup an S7 to talk to an OPC server before but didnt really want that kinda cost to setup the pc with softnet etc..

Not sure what you mean nova.....as the mp370 comes with the standard siemens software on, and then we use wincc flexible to program it.

What are the best (easiest) ways of sending this information
I think that what 10baseT suggest is to log to a .csv file on the panel, and then get access to that file from remote via smartaccess. This is an easy way.

Another relatively easy approach is to use an all-in-one package that is easier to setup than Siemens Net + homegrown scripts in excel or access.
Deltalogic has one such package at 400 Euro per license:
http://www.deltalogic.de/index.php?target=software/aglink/easylog.htm

What type of online connection do you have ?

JesperMP said:
I think that what 10baseT suggest is to log to a .csv file on the panel, and then get access to that file from remote via smartaccess. This is an easy way.

This sounds like a possible idea......just got to work out how to use smartaccess.

Writing to a file

We typically use VBscript within WinCC Flexible to write .csv, recipe files and so forth using the file system object over an ethernet connection. Usually on the higher end TP's from Siemen's the ethernet card is already included. A method to write to a specific PC could be to create a shared folder on that pc and write to that folder. Below is some very simple code to write to a text file.

• Function WriteLineToFile
    Const ForReading = 1, ForWriting = 2
    Dim fso, f
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set f = fso_OpenTextFile("c:\testfile.txt", ForWriting, True)
    f.WriteLine "Hello world!"
    f.WriteLine "VBScript is fun!"
    Set f = fso_OpenTextFile("c:\testfile.txt", ForReading)
    WriteLineToFile = f.ReadAll
    End Function
In your case replace "c:\" with your shared folder name and add the necessary variables you wish to write to the f.writeline commandline.

Thanks for the replys fella's.....i will probably go with connecting it to the network via ethernet and writing to a shared folder on another computer...but probably use the built in data logger to write to the files.

Cheers

If you write a csv file to a shared directory : don't open it with Excel cause the MP370 will stop writing to it, copy the log file to another place and then open it .

We copy at midnight and plonk it into a mysql database

Cheers

Aikona