Please help with wireless handheld

CharlesK

I currently have a setup using a Koyo 240 with an ethernet cable running up to an EZ Touch panel. However, the panel is in the control room on the 3rd floor and there are outer buildings. So they have asked to add a remote control unit that the operator can carry around. I was thinking of something along the lines of the old toughbook p1 with wireless and a router. However, I don't really know where to go from there. I'm not sure if there is something already out there, or if I need to get a HMI program and add it to a small portable computer. The operations are pretty simple (basically start/stops with interlocks), but I'm clueless at this point and would greatly appreciate any help.

It needs to be something that the operator can carry around (such as hooking on a belt, etc) and use to start and stop different pieces of equip. However, this mine site is pretty nasty as far as enviromental conditions go, and our operators are not exactly the easiest on equipment. I want to keep it as simple as possible as well (it was hard for some of them to understand the touchpanels after I put in the first 2 systems here).

I really do appreciate all help.

That's where I'm running into a problem. I've seen the multi-channel wireless handhelds, but none have enuf buttons. The system which is currenly running operates multiple feeders, 2 start-up alarms, 16 pieces of machinery (4 with forward/reverse options), and 8 different belts, along with group and overall e-stops. And they all have to be started and stopped independently.

That's going to be tough. As far as a pushbutton solution you may contact Remtron or look at some of their larger remotes. It is possible to do it with on of their larger units but it's going to take a well trained operator

www.remtron.com

Your're right on both counts. The largest one there might work, but, like you said, it would take a skilled operator. And on a minesite in the middle of nowhere, we have a few who are not exactly....how should I say it...well, let's just say that I want to try to keep everything as simple and basic as possible for them to use. If they do the wrong action on this particular section of the mine, then production from it is down 1-3 days. Unfortunately, I may just end up being forced to add a second touchpanel on the ground floor of the main building. Thanx.