Please Help With Final Project

KochTech

Hello,

I am trying to get a Yokogawa Hart pressure Transmitter and a Rosemount Temp Transmitter to read on a 1769-IF4 module on an L33ERM CompactLogix. The displays on the transmitters do not energize, and the values on the card show the cards code for "Undervalue".

I programmed the transmitters/sensors to scale 4-20ma within the desired process values.

I put a 250 ohm resistor in series on each side of polarity on different test. No difference in value.

I know these cards aren't meant to support Hart communication, but has anyone found a unique way to get these to connect?

Thanks

You don't need the 250 ohm resistor, the module provides the load.

See pdf's for wiring options and input load impedance
How do you have it wired?

Attachments

• 1769-in048_-en-p.pdf
    21.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1769-in048_-en-p_1.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 10
The Hart protocol transmitters have a low pass capacitor that require the 250 ohms of resistance. The 1769-IF8H cards do, yes, but not the one I have.
"V/I 0 - " to - Transmitter terminal and "I in 0+" to + Transmitter terminal.

Where is the 24Vdc power supply coming from that powers the field transmitters?

see Mickey's 2nd attachment, top drawing showing DC power supply and 2 wire transmitter wiring.
His first attachment confirms his statement that the module provides 250 Ohms input resistance under 'input impendance'.

I powered the transmitters, first, off of the 24v supplied by the card. Then I tried powering it from a 24v Sola dc power supply after I toggled the power supply switch on the IF4 card to "external power source". Made no difference

If you use the transmitter as a 4-20mA transmitter with no need for the Hart protocol, then you can use any 4-20mA input card with no special circuitry needed.
The Hart protocol is a frequency modulation on top of the 4-20mA signal.

The displays on the transmitters do not energize,
Pretty much tells you that you don't have 24V supply to the transmitters.

I programmed the transmitters/sensors to scale 4-20ma within the desired process values.
How did you do that without a functioning display ?

Measure if you have 24V supply to the transmitter.
If you can confirm you have 24V supply to the transmitter, then measure with a regular DC ammeter. You should get a signal within 4-20mA. If you get a working mA signal or not will tell you if the problem is with the transmitter or the PLC.

Inform the exact type no's of the transmitters.

I powered the transmitters, first, off of the 24v supplied by the card. Then I tried powering it from a 24v Sola dc power supply after I toggled the power supply switch on the IF4 card to "external power source". Made no difference
Make a small sketch of your connection diagram, with and without the external power supply.
Did you also connect the ground from the external power supply ?
Try to remove the PLC and connect directly to the transmitters, then measure with an ammeter from output on the transmitter to ground on the power supply.

If you use the transmitter as a 4-20mA transmitter with no need for the Hart protocol, then you can use any 4-20mA input card with no special circuitry needed.
The Hart protocol is a frequency modulation on top of the 4-20mA signal.

Pretty much tells you that you don't have 24V supply to the transmitters.

How did you do that without a functioning display ?

Measure if you have 24V supply to the transmitter.
If you can confirm you have 24V supply to the transmitter, then measure with a regular DC ammeter. You should get a signal within 4-20mA. If you get a working mA signal or not will tell you if the problem is with the transmitter or the PLC.

Inform the exact type no's of the transmitters.
I used a Trex (Hart Communicator) with Loop Power function.
Hello,

I am trying to get a Yokogawa Hart pressure Transmitter and a Rosemount Temp Transmitter to read on a 1769-IF4 module on an L33ERM CompactLogix. The displays on the transmitters do not energize, and the values on the card show the cards code for "Undervalue".

I put a 250 ohm resistor in series on each side of polarity on different test. No difference in value.

I know these cards aren't meant to support Hart communication, but has anyone found a unique way to get these to connect?

Thanks
Figured it out.

+ 24V (Sola) to Transmitter +
- 24 V (Sola) to 1769-IF4 V/I in 0 -
Anlg Com jumpered to V/I in 0-

@KochTech: you can use the 250 ohm resistor at 4-20 mA input, you will be able to measure voltage across the resistor from1 to 5 volts. If voltage is out of this range something is wrong. And you have to check that your wiring is in accordance with the figure sent by Mickey.