SLC500 Wireless communications

gregjwilson

I've got a SLC500 on my floor that my guys have to physically go to and download data for reports from. Reports are taken at a specific time each day and if missed, operators reset the machine and data is lost.
Is there a way to connect my ABSLC5/04 into my plant wifi network?

sure an AIC converter can put you slc on ethernet but do you have an hmi attached that you could more easily extract the data from?

yep, it's connected to a PanelView HMI, we connect to it to download data for reports. If our guys miss the window between shifts ( machine reset) data is lost. I'd love to have some kinda excel macro go out there and get the data at the same time everyday with no outside intervention.
Is there a comm card I can physically run a wire to that would work?

Are they printing from the panelview or plugging into the plc with a laptop and pulling data out?

There are a few things you can do to get the system on the network e.g.
change your processor to a 5/05 if you are not using the dh+ for your panelview. use a 1791-net-aic converter (i think thats the #) or i think spectrum controls makes a enet card for the slc (ive never used it so I dont know if its a good option)
but we need a little more specific info on what you are actually trying to accomplish.

Are you printing the reports from the PanelView?

Is your shift schedule predictable? The reason I ask: You could have the PLC store the previous shift data so that is can't be lost until the following shift ends. That should be simply a matter of watching for the PLC clock to equal your shift change time(s) with ladder logic to trigger a bunch of COPy and or MOVe commands. Then your report needs to be modified to display or print these new addresses.

Now, of course, that won't work if you don't have enough memory left in the SLC or if the shift schedule doesn't follow a pattern that can be programmed into ladder logic. But if it could be done, it would give you much greater flexibility.

You could also extend the network that your PanelView is connected to into your office area. Being a 5/04, the PV may be connected to the DH+ port.

To extend DH+, you just daisy chain another "blue hose" from one end of the existing network into your office where you put a DH+ card in a PC and connect the blue hose cable to it. Be sure to move the terminating resistor to the new end node of the network.

If you do that, you then can monitor/upload/download the PLC and the Panelview right from the office as well as gather data into business/production reports.

JMHO Paul

Last edited:
They're plugging into the DH+1SH2 port that's daisy chained into the panelview, excel pulls the data out through a PMIC card.
As for switching to a 5/05, I'll let you talk to our corporate bean counters about that.
Seems like there should be an easy comm. card. I've investigated some wireless solutions but they're seeming like a Rube Goldberg solution to a mousetrap.

like i mentioned there are a few wireless methods but okie is right just run blue hose from your control room to dh+ network on the plant floor. sounds like your simplest option.

You could try going blue tooth serial to a computer close by running rs linx and an excel spreed sheet. I have done that in the past and it works quite well, but you are limited to range around 500 feet or so.

What about adding a NET-ENI? Run a serial cable from Channel 0 of the 5/04 to the NET-ENI. Then come out wired ethernet from the ENI and connect to a wireless Access Point? Provided your corporate IT will let you add an AP. That should get you on your corporate Wi-Fi.

OG

hopefully you do not connect it to your biz network. i thought if you went to an eni you would either cat6 to it or hook up to a wireless intended just for you automation equipment. and the computer with your excel sheet on it.

I keep mentioning the 1770KF2, I guess I should find out where to get one, lol.

Blue hose to a 1770KF2, use the serial port with any PC. Doesn't lock you into an internal card purchase that is only good for one PC.

Why wireless? Undoubtedly since you are already getting the info you know how to, just setup a permanent connection with the existing network.