algorithm

Hey

Isn't it more like asking questions about several things to use in a calculation, and that way solving something ?

A simple compare istn't an algorithm,

A PID regulation is

The dictionary defines algorithm as "a mechanical or repetitive computational procedure". So, if you have a set of equations or a group of functions that define a control action, you have an algorithm.

I didn't know you needed more then one equation to have an algorithm.
So if you combine equations into one, does that mean you don't have an algorithm any more?

Tom's definition doesn't put any specific value on the number of equations. Combo believes that a PID is an algorithm. I can write that as a single equation. That doesn't make it any less an algorithm.

L D[AR2,P#0.0]'s definition is good too. It focuses on procedure more than characters. I think most of us assume that an algorithm is a bit stronger than just concept. We expect to get something we can just plug numbers into and get a result. However, I don't thnk that expectation is a requirement, semantically speaking.

As far as authorship, keep in mind that automation has been around long enough that authoring something completely original is pretty rare. If you just mention in casual conversation that you developed an algorithm for solving some problem I don't think many people will have an issue with claiming authorship, assuming you actually authored it, even if it is a repeat of something someone else did. Re-inventing the wheel is not a crime. However, if you are going to use this algorithm as a personal selling point I would be more careful. Once a procedure is published I believe it is free to use. However, if someone catches you in what they perceive as a lie, even though you may not knowingly be lying, your credibility could take a hit. For example, you develop a PID gain scheduling algorithm that you think is unique. You claim original authorship of it. Gain scheduling is pretty common. If someone finds a paper from 1955 that details your scheme they will believe you just copied it and claimed authorship, even though you just happened to independently develop the same scheme.

The one exception to his is if you are using an algorithm that is an exclusive part of a patented system. That would be a problem. That would typically happen if you were an employee of one company, left that company and used the algorithm either on your own or with a different company. The court might look at that a little funny. But as a twist, if you independently develop an algorithm that is the same as a proprietary part of a patented process and you had no reasonable way of knowing what that algorithm was before you developed it, I think people would be OK with you claiming ownership.

Keep in mind I'm not a patent attorney. this is just based on what I have picked up over the years. Tom, Peter, Mike and others who do this kind of thing for a living probably have a better feel than I do.

Keith

My reply was in responce to smiles comment of needing equations.
I think one equation is an algorithm but it may be just semantics.

To me, an algorithm may contain decision branches, a formula does not.

So all formulas can be called a algorithms, but the reverse isn't true. That's just my personal interpretation.

Also, I think of an algorithm as a small chunk of generic "code" that has a re-usable purpose. I would not call a huge PLC program or PC operating suystem an algorithm, but they each contain many of them.

Paul

Assuming programming (since we are on PLC forum), algorithm may be unformally defined as set of rules for decisions and actions to achieve the necessary goal.
Algorithm is language- independent.
It may be described or visualized in many forms and even in plain language.

In my opinion, algorithm is created when:
- It uses only clearly defined events and units.
It cannot contain definitions like when necessary, sometimes, in some point, after some time, etc.
As long as there are such definitions, it's a concept or idea, not an algorithm.
- For any units used, the start (zero) point is clearly defined.

Also, a good algorithm:
- Provides correct startup/exit and termination/restart.
- Processes maximum of specific cases by the same set of rules.

Last edited:
An algorithm is a set of commands or instructions which, starting from a given situation and within a limited timespan, leads to a certain goal. Examples which are commonly provided are
  • the kitchen recipe which starts with a list of ingredients and leads to a (hopefully) tasty dish or
  • the construction manual included with an furniture kit from IKEA.
So, algoritm doesn't exclusively have to do with programming. Because there is no definition about the number of instructions needed to form a set, even

| A B
|---| |------( )-|

can be regarded as being an algorithm, although of the simplest form.

Combo, if you need to know a little bit more about algorithms, you can turn to http://home.tiscali.be/sectieplc.brugge and click further on 'Probleemanalyse en programmaontwerp'. Chapter three is about algorithms. Sorry for the rest of this finest of communities, but the site mentioned is Dutch only.

Kind regards,

Last edited: