Connection from ProfiBus to Ethernet

misamark

Hi all,

I need some help; I have no so much experiance with;

I have ProfiBus and MPI connections on Siemens S7-400 (Master) and 3x S7-300 PLCs, and also 3 OP (OP-17 and OP-3); I have also two more machines which have Ethernet connections; so, I have to organize to connect from anywhere using Internet; I just need to connect this Siemens;

So, what is possible to do? To install one Ethernet module in S7-400 or maybe there is some convertor from Profibus or MPI to Ethernet? I will use this connection just for remote administration? Is there any with such of experience to help me to choose a way?

Regards, MisaMark

Remote control

Hello Misa,

You can use one PC equiped with Step7 and CP5611 card for communication (Profibus or MPI) with your PLCs. Then you can connect that PC (that is on the site, connected to PLC) to internet and use for example program VNC (free software)for remote control of that PC. Other option is to use PCAnywher and telephone modem to connect through telephone line.

I use VNC all the time to monitor the system from home and it works well.

http://www.realvnc.com/

Thanks to Krcedinac;

But I think that will not be a solution in my case; because I have 2 machines more with Allen Bradley which is allready connected to Ethernet; so, I think that some converter from ProfiBus to Ethernet will be better solution;

Thanks and regards!

MisaMark

Hello misamark.

Unless the S7 PLCs or CPs are very old, they will support routing.
So you must add a CP443-1 to the S7-400 station, and you must create a common STEP7 project with all the PLCs that you want to connect to. In the STEP7 project there must also be a "PG/PC station", this will represent the programming PC.
When ready, you shall test to go onlie with routing from the local ethernet, not via Remote. If that is OK you can proceed with going remote.
I have no experience with accessing from remote, but what I hear is that you typically must setup a VPN connection from the remote location. This is probably a job for your IT department.

edit:
Reading Daniels post, I realise that maybe you do not intend to program from remote via STEP7, maybe you just want to access data.
If that is the case you should add a "Simatic PC Station" in stead of a "PG/PC station". Other than that, it is the same.

Last edited: