RSlogix5000 Version (all versions) Hardware Useage Question

SNK

In the past versions of Rockwell Rslogix (5,500) there was a utility embedded that would allow you to view the used (in the working program) I/O in the data table for the Rack. (useage would appear as a X)

Is there any such way to find USED I/O in LGX5K?

I can't seen to locate anything other than Xreferences, which is the really long way to do it...

Greetings SNK ...

I think that you're looking for the "Usage" feature that you're familiar with in RSLogix5 and RSLogix500 ...

sorry ... RSLogix5000 doesn't have that feature ... (yet?) ...

as you've figured out, the XRef is the closest thing that you'll find ... one tip: be careful with the "sorting" in the XRef ... specifically, "bit 10" will be up at the top of the list with "bit 1" ... more specifically, it won't be at the bottom of the list after "bit 9" ... sometimes missing that fact will cause problems when you're searching for the "next-unused-bit" ...

I believe the primary reason that there isn't an I/O usage tool in CLX is because the IO doesn't really use the dedicated memory block that was used in 5 or 500.

When you buy a CLX, you're primarily buying a free-form database... all of the memory is available to use however you want to use it.

When you buy a 5 or a 500, you're getting pre-assigned memory blocks. You can't use the I memory for timers, or counters, or program, or anything except Inputs. Likewise with Outputs.

Thanks for the information guys.
It is too bad that this is not available in the std issue LG5K. I found it very useful in the past when modifying field and software systems in our plant.
Now, I have to rely on drawings......
Have a great day,

I often clean up programs that have been developed on-the-fly by selecting the "Used" filter in the Tag Database view. Often I'll abandon some tags during development and this method helps keep the Tag Databse from being too long or misleading.

When you're using arrays and are looking for unused elements within the array (I use boolean arrays for oneshots and some binary flags) you just run the cross-reference on the base tag and the used elements will show in the cross-reference report.

This same method is used when you're checking the usage of the Data tags in an I/O module's pre-defined Tag.

Greetings Ken ...

I've tried that "Used" filter before ... but it seems that once ANY bit in an Input word has been used, then the ENTIRE word gets "filtered" out ...

specifically, I can't seem to find out which bits WITHIN THE WORD have already been used - and which are still available ...

as far as I know, the XRef is the only thing that will show the usage BIT-BY-BIT ...

am I just missing something? ...

You're entirely right. When you use a sub-element within any Tag, the entire Tag shows in the "Used" filter.

The cross-reference view is still the way everybody examines their I/O modules to see what's already been programmed.

Ken...
Since you are on the inside, and my requests have gone unheard since Logix soft/firmware 5ish...

Could you PLEASE beg the developers to list bit-defined tags/I/O addresses with leading '0''s?

It annoys me to no end that my CNB_02:10:I.Data.1 appears before my CNB_02:1:I.Data.0 in I/O lists.

Ken Roach said:
You're entirely right. When you use a sub-element within any Tag, the entire Tag shows in the "Used" filter.

The cross-reference view is still the way everybody examines their I/O modules to see what's already been programmed.

I also have trouble with this. All of my IO tags use alias's and have global scope. Usually generated in Excel then imported into the RS5000 database. When in Controller Tags I sort by "Alias For" (Optional column heading) this gives me all the tags for each IO card that have the same alias name.
To get around rdrast's problem with order being strictly alphabetical I code the alias address with extra 0's. eg IORack2:10:O.Data.00
Even so I still check the drawings for io drawn (future) but not programmed, perform a Xref on the new Tag to make sure that i have not made a mistake, used the tag directly or aliased using local scope.

Anyway I agree with rdrast The order needs to be smarter, not just strict alphabetical but alphabetical/numerical by an option that you enable.