CX-Programmer-viewing documentation on Line

Leviathan

I have just started to use omron CX-Programmer for the first time.
When I go online using the auto online feature I am able to view the PLC program on line but it does not have documentation. I have an offline file that was provided with documentation. How do I merge the offline file documentation with the online file so I can view it while on line with the ladder. The version I have is CX-Programmer Ver.7.

Thanks

Without being to scientific, if you have the file open with the
documentation, then all you need to do is work online (ctrl+w), and providing you have your comm settings set correctly, this will provide what you are looking for.

Did you upload the program after using auto-online?

If you use the method that I suggested, you may want to confirm the offline program you have, matches the program in the PLC.

CX-Programmer- viewing documentation on line

I opened the file with the documentation and then went (ctri + w).
When i respond yes to go on line, a window pops up saying "Failed to Connect to the PLC. Please check the following. - that the device selected in the CX-Programmer matches the type of PLC its connected to" and the network setting of Change PLC dialog." I checked to make sure that the device is right.(It is a C1000H).

I have no problem with the autoline except it makes a new file with no documentation.

Have you tried auto online to get the comms settings and then transfer those settings to the program that has the comments? That is what I do if I amm uncertain of the comms settings.

The CJ/CS1 V3 processors have the ability to store comments etc in the PLC. That does not mean that the programmer has stored them in the PLC.

Further CX-P has an import/export function for comments/symbols etc under the file tab. Symbols will generally transfer clean as they are attached to bit and word numbers. Rung comments are attached to rung numbers of course and if the commented program is an old version and the version in the PLC has had rungs added, the comments will not transfer to new rung numbers. This means that rungs will then have the wrong comments although it is not hard to move them.

I have to be very careful with comms to all brands of PLC. With Omron, for example, I use Toolbus most of the time @115kbaud via USB/serial converter, serial port, bluetooth serial port, and then there are networked PLCs. It is better to get the comms right first rather than fiddle around with auto online. I generally only use it to get the comms settings unless it is a project developed by someone else and I do not have the original code.