PanelView Plus

wa5yom

I am trying to use Security levels in a PanelView Plus, with no success. I am sure I must be missing something that is easy...because it can't be this hard.

All I want to do is limit access to one screen.

I went to the User Accounts, RsView 3.x Accounts, and created a Operator account and a Supervisor accout.

Operator - I selected "N" for the "A" security code and "Y" for all the other security codes. I did not create a password.

Supervisor - I selected "Y" for all the security codes and created a password.

I created the new screen, selected Display Settings and selected Security code "A".

I created a new runtime file and loaded it into the Panelview Plus.

I tired to access the new screen, a password was not required, access was not limited.

I did more research and it appeared that I had to create a Log in screen, which seemed odd.

I did all that and made the Login Screen the start up screen.

It still did not limit the access and when I tried to use the Login it never recognized the password.

So, what am I missing.

Thanks,

Tim

All this RSView RSview/Me security level has me confused as well.
What I do is create a button Login that writes a value to a Clgx tag. Based on the value of that tag, the password, I enable the visibilty of GOTO SCREEN buttons.

Security.jpg

You're on the right track using Animations.

Once you are in the Animations editor click on "Expressions" then "Functions" then under 'Function Catagories' - "Security"

I use the "Current User Has Code()". You fill in the parentheses with the letter which must be set to "Y" in your account to allow the control to be visible.

So, you are animating the goto button that is password protected with "Current User Has Code()". Is that correct?
In this case I am using code "A".
With that in mind the login button is required....

Does the PanelView always boot up to the lowest security level?

Tim

In our experience - yes. You can add a "Log Out" button which has the "Logged In" state as its visibility condition. You may also want to condition a "Got To Config Mode" button in the same manner.

We haven't tried the "Display properties" as a method of limiting access so I can't help you there. When you set up accounts it initially comes up with a DEFAULT account. I believe that is the account which the display powers up in.

Well, with your method, the DIsplay Properties method would not be used..

So I am now, not using the Display method

OK..I tried the Animation idea...still doesn't work....

I tried logging in...doesn't work..

Tried using the change password button...It said current user was "FactoryLink"....

So, I am still missing something....

Last edited:
Tim,

Just for the heck of it, go back to what you were doing from your original post, but this time change all the security codes for the operator to N, and all the security codes for Supervisor to N, with the exception of code A. Set that one to Y. Then give it a shot. NOTE: This is all under the RSView 3.x Accounts tab. If you're using RSView 4.0, make sure you migrate the users to 4.0 by going to Setup->Migrate 3.x User accounts.

In my application, I just have 2 users, Default and Supervisor. All the codes for Default are N, and all the codes for Supervisor are N also, except for one of them, which is Y. This is the code I assigned to the screen I wanted to protect. When you try to go to this screen, you should automatically get a login window. You shouldn't have to create your own.

Good Luck,
Jeff

When you create the application (MER) file at the bottom of the screen is a "Save As Type" line. Make sure to open this and set it to 3.2 before saving.