simple question:how to download firmware controllogix5555

ddeelavureae

Hello,
I am a new to much of PLC's. I am out of the country installing a system with a controllogix5555. Using a null modem cable I am trying to connect to the PLC but I get an error on RSLynks: cannot find baud or parity check cable and switch setting. I have pinned the cable out and it is correct. The setting all seem correct too.

Next step I used bootp to give the ethernet card an IP this way I can drop the firmware on that way. The IP works but then I can only see the other cards on the backplane not the processor so I cannot load the firmware.

Quick help would be greatly appriciated.
Null modem cable I am using:AB PN#1756CP3A/A01

Donnie

This may be a version compatibilty issue. Can you state what version of
RSlogix5K, Rslinx, and 1756-LXX you have?

Ian

rslogix: 15.02, rslynx 2.42 build 18, and the L55 processor
these are the versions I have on the computer I am using to bootp the ethernet card then try to communicate with the processor(no serial port on this one) will this method even work or must i use a null modem

If you can't "see" the processor in the RSLinx backplane browse or in the 1756-ENBT web-page backplane inventory, then you cannot load firmware into it. The fact that you can't establish serial communications to the CPU is a bad sign too.

What are the status of each of the LED's on the 1756-L55 controller ?

also note that this is actually two systems, two PLCs they both do the same or if I flip the cards around they do the same

also the firmware version seems to be 12.23 when looking at what we normally load

If the OK LED is solid green, then the controllers themselves are functioning, and you can concentrate again on communicating with them.

Usually the foolproof way is to use the DF1 communication driver. Since you say you haven't loaded current firmware into these controllers yet, it won't hurt to remove the battery and cycle power.

Give another try to configuring the DF1 Full Duplex communication driver. If you don't have a built-in serial port on your computer, the auto-configure function might not work, so just set the port for 19200 baud, no parity, 1 stop bit,BCC Error Checking, and Full Duplex protocol. The "Logix 5550/CompactLogix" should be selected for "Device Type".

Last edited:
Try plugging just the controller in to the backplane without any comm cards. If you still get a solid red OK LED, then you have a damaged controller. How you managed to get two damaged controllers for an out-of-the-country startup is probably a mystery of its own.

ya which is very strange. I never got to the downloading firmware part so I know it wasn't that. They were shipped in the cabinet with the cards in. I am sure that has something to do with it.