RSView Studio ME with AD DL06 PLC

Norml

Hi guys,

I have a laptop with RSView ME and I want to control the DL06 for demo purposes. When looking through RSLinx, I can only see drivers for AB equipment. Does this setup need OPC in order to work? Any kick in the right direction would be appreciated.

Theoretically you can use any OPC (OLE for Process Control) server with RSView. The DL-06 supprots Modbus, so you should be able to accomplish what you want. I'd get confirmation from someone who has actually done it, though, as my opinion of RSView is that it is very quirky.

RSView ME help tends to support the notion that OPC is going to be necessary.

RSView Studio ships with a copy of KepServer Enterprise OPC Server, which has drivers for about 20 third-party controllers, including Automation Direct and Modbus protocols.

You'll set up Kepserver to connect to the DL06, then insert an OPC Data Server into your RSView Studio project.

RSLinx Enterprise is an OPC Server for Rockwell PLCs. As Ken stated, if you want to talk to another brand, use KepServer. In RSView, you must then add the new Data Server as shown below:

OG

Thanks guys. I totally forgot that I have a Kepware CD that came with the Rockwell software. Duh...

Tom Jenkins said:
Theoretically you can use any OPC (OLE for Process Control) server with RSView. The DL-06 supprots Modbus, so you should be able to accomplish what you want. I'd get confirmation from someone who has actually done it, though, as my opinion of RSView is that it is very quirky.

RSView ME help tends to support the notion that OPC is going to be necessary.

I must be running into the quirkiness that you are referring to. I spent most of the day yesterday trying to set this up - all for naught. Just when I thought I had it, I created a runtime file and when I launched it, I immediately got a message saying that an RSView ME Station license was not found (I guess it didn't look hard enough) and it was going to self destruct in 2 hours. Then when I tried running the mer file I got another error saying that my RSView Studio user account session has expired due to a status change in the user account or the Factory Talk directory and I would need to log in again before opening an application. (huh?)