SLC 5/04 with Speed Encoder

cyriousn

Hello All

I have a SLC 5/04 with a 1746-HSCE input module and I have a speed encoder that can be seen here: http://www.encoder.com/literature/datasheet-tr1.pdf
The model number is TR1-U1R4-1000NVQPP-F00
This means there is a pushpull output and there are 1000 counts per revolution on the encoder. Right now I have no clue on how to wire this guy up to the Counter Module or how to set it up in RSLogix. I want to be able to monitor the rate for my project. Can anyone lend a hand?

-Nick

Download the manual for the HSC FIRST!
You can copy their example EXACTLY. Just follow the instructions.
I have used this card in MANY applications and have had great success. The only problem is with this card is that it is a STEEEEEP learning curve. Once you get it copied into your logic, it will come to you.

Nick, the EPC encoder you have should be a snap to do. Look at the wiring diagram and just hook up A+ A- B+ B- and Z (if you need it for reset). If you haven't already go to AB and download the manual for the HSCE card. In a nutshell..make a new program and data file (42 word long) for the hsce..look at the book to configure how you need. Use a first pass sbit to copy the config data file to the HSCE. Do a line to reset if you overrun or fault or whatever. Config the thing to use Z reset if you want a count reset every 360deg or program for a soft reset. Spin the encoder and you should count up. If it counts the wrong way...backwards...negative...swap the A sets with B sets and you'll go up. I:e.1 (e being whatever slot you stuck the HSCE in) will give you your count number. But again...hit the book..it has all the info you need plus some.
Hope this helped some. If it's all still mud I'll shoot you a copy of the program I just did for a retrofit on a depositing machine with a 5/04.
Switchman

hello

Hey guys thanks for your help so far!
The signals that come from the encoder are not differential, there are only wires from the encoder for a, b, and z, no a-not b-not and z-not. That shouldn't be a problem should it? I looked at the manual tonight and I see those examples that were mentioned I will try those tomorrow when I get back to my lab. Thanks again.

-Nick