Allen Bradley file question....

XtremeIN

Hello once again,
This should be a rather simple one for those that know RS Logix 500. We built a machine for a customer that requested a SLC 5/05. No problem, built, codded runs great. It has been sitting in our warehouse for months, thay could not recieve it due to the machine cannot freeze (they are paying us to store it). Anyway to the problem they need a memory map of the I/O. To quote an email..."We also need to see about getting an I/O list and memory map for data in the PLC. Do you guys have anything like this available? The memory map should be in the N#:# Allen Bradley format. This is needed for mapping to our DCS." I am unfalimar with the N#:# format. I know what that they are interger files......same difference? Is there a way to export the information needed or how should I go about this.
Thanks,
Micheal

If your program is well documented, then should be able to get
what they want from RSLogix report options.

ReportOptions.jpg

Last edited:
there’s not much detail there - but I’ve got a hunch that they want you to “map” or “pack” all of the output (O: type) and input (I: type) bits into corresponding integer (N type) bits ... some HMI/DCS/SCADA systems have a problem communicating directly with I/O type data - and so this “mapping” or “packing” to “vanilla” integer locations is fairly common ... usually a group of COP (Copy) instructions is what you need ... for example:

COPY my five words of Outputs to N10:0 through N10:4 ... and

COPY my five words of Inputs to N11:0 through N11:4 ...

maybe that’s what they had in mind? ... check to make sure that they're not going to be trying to CONTROL the Input bits from the DCS ... if they are, then you've got some more hoops to jump through ...

I have done programs where in the "eleventh hour", the end customer wanted a memory map for status display in his DCS. Here's the problem:

The end-user needed to give you a listing of what he wanted status (read) or what he wanted control (write). Then you would need to "mirror" your normal signals to energize bits in dedicated "N" files that he can easily read or write all in one compact place out of the DCS.

As usual, the end customer always asks this too late. You may now need to ask him the following questions:

1) What signals does he want to read / write?
2) Confirm that he wishes to read/write from "N" registers and find out if there are any limitations on size, so you can map the appropriate information correctly.

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry it took me so long to reply, been out of the office. I will contact the customer and find out what it is they are wanting to do and get more specific on what they are asking for.
thanks again,
Micheal