For Allen Bradley platform, without PLC, can I use an .ACD file to create a new HMI ?

David0531

For Allen Bradley platform, without PLC, can I use an .ACD file to create a new HMI ?
No physical plc and only have some PLC program. want to learn HMI programming by myself.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

My boss told me that you can and how to do it,
create your hmi screen and link to the plc address.
when you compile the program and download it to the hmi, you must link the terminal to the correct ip address.
THIS is from memory of what he told me and i have been to busy working on the lines to try it. IF i am incorrect, someone please correct me.
regards,
james

Depends on HMI brand-model.

HMIs that program with Allen Bradley Factory Talk View can read a .ACD file for offline programming.

Automation Direct C'More HMIs require the .L5K ascii version of the .ACD file. (This s/w is free and seems pretty good to learn on.)

YMMV depending on other brands.

If using View Studio, yes you can. You will need to add the location of the ACD file to the Communications Setup Tab in the project tree under the RSLinks Enterprise tab. This will add the tags from the ACD file to the tag browser in the offline section, where you can pick them for your objects.

See Screen shot.
View Studio.JPG

View Studio 1.JPG

Last edited:
As stated, depends on the HMI. To add, you can use Emulate. I have tested Emulate 5000 for both FTView and Ignition. It doesn't have to be local either. Emulate can be hosted on a separate box.

If you want to learn the HMI side, I strongly recommend Ignition over FactoryTalk. It's a much better platform, and free for you to develop and run for 2 hour demo (you can reset this demo as much as you want)