Installation message everytime RSLogix500 has to startup.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Have anyone seen this ?

After updating RSLogix500 to v7.10.00 I get an obnoxious installation message evertime I start it up. As if the installation routine isn't finished.

And even more weird, the message also appears if I start RSLogix5 !

RSLogix500_v7_10_00_message.GIF

I had a customer last week that Windows Installer would try to install RSView SE when he started Logix 5000. He called Rockwell and they had him download a patch or updated version of Windows Installer from Microsoft, I think. I will look at the knowledgebase to see if this has been documented.

Take a look at Knowledgebase answer I.D. number 30063. I'd post the link, but since they started requiring a login, it would only take you to the login screen.

I get that problem everytime i start up 5, but 500 works fine. All i do is cancel the install 4 or 5 times and the program starts up.

Jesper, I just spoke with the customer that had this problem and what RA actually had him do is what is in the technote. He stuck his SE installation disk in and it evidently only installed the file that was corrupted in the MSI database and his problem went away.

Thanks for the helpful service.

Hmmm.. the installer doesnt prompt for anything, just runs the above message 3 times before RSLogix starts. Irritating but you can live with it. I shall try to find the mentioned Windows Install Clean Up Utility.

mgvol said:
I copied the contents into a word doc.
Funny that the Word document says "use this as a last resort".

Just curious, what is the "first resort"? Putting up with the annoyance? Looks like just another CYA from AB...

Jesper, as the last poster pointed out, the Windows MSI utility should only be used as a last resort (if you don't have your RSLogix installation CD). What you should try first is try to start RSLogix and when you get the pop-up, insert the CD. It should then look for the file(s) that are corrupted in the Installer database and get them from your CD.

I understand, but the message only appears for a relatively short time, it never prompts for a file.
It would not be such a problem if it wasnt for the fact that I cannot make any setups or preferences, and the recent file list is empty. Just like if it is starting up for the 1st time.

I installed the software from a network drive (where all our program updates are kept). Maybe the problem is that the installation program expects the CD to be present in the local drive.
I also remember that it said that the previous RSLogix500 version would have to be deinstalled, but it never did that.

I could deinstall and reinstall and see how it goes.

Deinstall + install did the trick.

There were two RSLogix500 entries in the list of installed software. I ran the uninstall for both and then installed from the beginning. Appearantly when I installed the new release the 1st time, for some reason it didnt automatically uninstall the previous version.

I am not sure if this is will work in this situation, but for certain programs, you need to be logged in with administrative rights for certain installations to complete. What tends to happen is, you are not allowed certain registry entires and hence the program tries to install some components again.

Guys, I have the same problems with several RSI products. RSLogix 500 launches the 5 and 500 installers, and for reasons unknown to any but the Eternal, my voicemail manager launches the installer for Drive Executive.

I'm gonna try just doing what the installers suggest, putting in my RSRevs DVD's.

I had this same issue with my laptop when I was not connected to my company network. I uninstalled and reinstalled while not connected to the network and that fixed the issue.