Online edit fail

kurt.brinker

SLC 5/05 RS 500 Pro

I am constatly having online editing failures. Its completely intermittent but its enough to make me schedule a shutdown in order to add in another instruction or change an existing instruction. It has failed at every level. I can always start edits and sometimes i can complete them with no problems. Other times i start, and test them and then it fails during assembly. Other times it will fail to test them. I communicating via ethernet from a switch in out office to a switch in the plant. I can upload and download to any station with no problems. Is there something i am missing or something i can check?

I had this same problem several years ago with an old Series B SLC 5/05. They only supported 10M half-duplex comms and you had to have a managed ethernet switch with the port for the 5/05 forced to 10M half-duplex, or you would experience what you have described. See if you are using a Series B (the CPU, not the OS firmware rev). The attached document spells it out on page 6, under Switch Considerations, port duplex and speed.

I had the exact same problems last year. Never solved it. I suspect the cheap hub that was used for the small network on the machine. Network consisted of PLC, PV550 and my laptop computer.

If it is a series C CPU, you might also try this in RSLinx (Note: this is specifically for ML1100, but it oculdn't hurt to try it in your case).

well i just added in an instruction and removed it online and had no problems. I'll try more throughout the day and see how it goes. Thanks for the hopefully final fix!

just adjusted some limits and everything went perfectly. I am gonna say it worked. I have never made 3 consecutive edits without failure before.

How much memory is used and how much is left in your 505.

I have seen cases in a 504 where we had the exact problem and what we did was go from a 16K to a 32K processor. But from reading the posts, it may have been a problem in the firmware revision.

There is a 504 that I know about, everytime you try to do an online edit the DH+ communications faults out and you have to reboot the processor to get it working again. We are reaching the 504 through ethernet communications over a ControlLogix processor and a DHRIO module. I will now go back and check the memory and well as the revision levels.

I have one SLC with exactly the same problem- I can't do online edits. Doesn't matter how small it is, it crashes every time. It's Series C, FRN 9. I had suspected it was memory- it's 32K and I have only about 600 words left. I'll change the settings in RSLinx next time I go near the machine, though, and see what happens. Thanks!

mine is FRN 10 or later (FYI)

It really looks like those settings were the problem. I am gonna mess around with it some more today just to make sure. We are above our production quota so everything is shut down.

Mark Buskell said:
I have seen cases in a 504 where we had the exact problem and what we did was go from a 16K to a 32K processor. But from reading the posts, it may have been a problem in the firmware revision.

There is a 504 that I know about, everytime you try to do an online edit the DH+ communications faults out and you have to reboot the processor to get it working again. We are reaching the 504 through ethernet communications over a ControlLogix processor and a DHRIO module. I will now go back and check the memory and well as the revision levels.

Mark, see my thread from a while back. Still no fix and have had several more AB gurus come in and look at it.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=10666

brucechase,

Look at AB knowledgebase answer I.D. 30621 and see if anything in the attached document has been tried on your system. I can't speak to the effectiveness of the 1756-ABRIO module they reference, but it looks like it is designed to handle higher MSG/BLK XFER volumes than the DHRIO. If no one at RA tech support has mentioned it or mentioned adding even an additional DHRIO module, run this by them and see what they think. Good luck

Thanks MGVOL!!!!
I have had the ML1100 online edit failure bothering me for a while now. I had assumed it was my version of rslogix. I will try this fix today.

just one more update. I was able to add in a plethora of updates throughout the day yesterday and had no problems. This sure beats shutting them down. +1 for mgvol