S7 300 Plc

Hello pa_1784;

Is it possible you mean a "backplane":

Extract from Siemens' S7-300 module data manual:
Backplane bus
The backplane bus is a serial data bus. It supplies power to the modules and is also used by the modules to communicate with each other. Bus connectors interconnect the modules.
Illustration of bus connectors:

Bus_connector.jpg

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Thanks

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the reply regarding back plane.

regards,
Prashant Kulkarni.

Thermax Limited.

India.

Active Bus connector

I like to know if any of the intermediate modules in a back plane bus get spoiled will the modules after it, counting from CPU will still work or not?

I also heard of a term called active bus connector which allows the hot swappable modules in Siemens PLc's.

I like to know whether my theories were correct on this.

muthu_buddy said:
I like to know if any of the intermediate modules in a back plane bus get spoiled will the modules after it, counting from CPU will still work or not?

The modules after the defective one will carry on working. As far as I am aware hot swapping of modules on a S7 300 rack is not allowed, the PLC will go into stop when a module is removed, plus you are breaking the back plane bus link, so you lose the other modules after the removed one as well.

Paul

Hello Paul and Muthu_buddy;

I also heard of a term called active bus connector which allows the hot swappable modules in Siemens PLc's
hot swapping of modules on a S7 300 rack is not allowed

There is an active bus module that you can use on a remote S7-300 rack, not one with a CPU. It is used for example for a Y-Link setup (2 x IM157 as redundant DP-slaves on a S7-400-H system). But as you stated, Paul, on Rack 0 (which contains the CPU) this is not possible.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier