Totalizing realtime flow

bobwithdana

I need to totalize real time flow in a contrologix processor. I have the analog flow at 0 to 150 Gallons per minute and need to totalize gallons.

I can do this with some ugly code. Was wondering if anyone has a clean way to do the math.

Thanks Bob

It akk depends in your version of RS5000. If you have the pro edition you can use the "Totalizer". If not then do a search here on totalize for various examples.

Thanks for the quick reply ken, Its 4/20 analog scaled 0 to 150 GPM. I am using a Bubble tube for the DP of the Weir level. We have the engineering specs on the height of the wier relating to flow over the wier. Problem is this method does not provide us with a pulse output so I have to figure out the math.

For an analog signal, I'd just run a simple accumulator in a periodic task. The task should be timed to be faster running than your expected worst-case delta-flow rate (but not faster than the analog module can update).

If you ran the task every 60,000 ms for example, than you just directly add the scaled signal to a totalizer register. If you run the task every 1,000 ms, you would divide the scaled signal (GPM) by 60 to get GPS, and add that into the totalizer register.

For any rate, the actual calculation would be:

Totalizer = Totalizer + (Scaled_Input * (Task_Period_MSec / 60,000))

Just set the register to zero with a one shot to clear it at any time.

Thanks guys, This is what I came up with using a 10 Msec periodic task.

-----------------------------------------------------
[CPT]----------------------- WEIR_FLOW.FLOW_TOTAL

WEIR_FLOW.SCALED/360000+WEIR_FLOW.FLOW_TOTAL
------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again

Bob