Totalizing Tank by Volume

iMalinko

Hello, all. I’ve worked with totalizers based on a flow meter. However, I am trying to use ladder logic on totalizing a tank based on volume. I have a tank is consistently filled, and we have a level transmitter that shows the level in %. Based on this percentage and the maximum volume of the tank, we estimate its volume. The trick is, the tank can be emptied in bulk at any given time in the process. I am trying to calculate and totalize the amount that enters in this tank every day regardless when it’s emptied. Would someone be able to help out?

Is there any overlap in the tank being emptied at the same time as being filled? If so, then it's not possible to do this without at least one flow meter, either inlet or outlet.

If only a fill or drain action can occur at any one time then it's possible to calculate a rate based on level reducing or increasing, over a sensible timeframe. Use the rate to totalize.