Connecting a incremental shaft encoder to a plc

Lyle

Need some help in connecting an incremental shaft encoder to a plc.Anyone that has any connection diagrams will be very helpful.Thanks

Hi Densam, the PLC we are using is a micrologic 1500 series from allen bradley. We would like to use the incremental shaft encoder to beable to determine the speed at which our conveyor is running. Would you beable to direct us in the right direction please thank you.

Encoder Setup

Ur wiring will propably depend on what card u will be connecting the encoder to...

Get the info on both

Rheinhardt

If you just want to know the conveyor speed then use a Kubler counter.
All you need is the counter and a prox, fit the prox to pick up a pulse from the conveyor and feed this signal to the counter which you can then program a division or multiplication factor into to display the speed.
I fitted this setup to a vertical borer recently it took only an hour to fit and £100 worth of parts.

Hi, I recently used a shaft encoder with a ML1500 with much success. I was able to configure the high speed inputs on the ML1500 and setup a recycling timer that sampled and restarted the HSC every 0.5 sec. With a little math I'm able to constantly monitor the speed of the conveyor in m/s.

here is something i was working on at my desk in order to add to a production machine.

it was a micrologixs 1200, but may be helpful