Another AB data queston

hounddog

I have read the post on this site, but still confused about pulling data out of a ab plc.
We have about 50 machines with the micrologix 1200 plc in them.
I am using rs linx classic, version 2.50.00.20 (cpr 7)

Would it be possible for me to connect to a 1200 plc, using this version of rslinx and pull data into a excel file. If not, which version would I need.
Also, if someone has already done this, would you post a example or explain how a person would go about doing this.

Also, wanting to get into learning the vb.net software, and was wondering if someone could suggest a good book to read and learn more how to use it to connect to plc's.

Thanks

I am not positive, but I wouldnt think this is possible with the ML1200. I used the ML1100 for some logging, but it along with the 1500 have it built in. The 1200 doesnt have any way to retrieve/store data.

NH

What version of RsLinx are you using? Lite, Single Node, OEM, Gateway, Professional...You will need atleast OEM for this. After that it should be no problem...

How are you going to physically communicate the the Micrologix 1200s?

I am using rs linx classic, version 2.50.00.20 (cpr 7)

The micrologix 1200 plc's that we have are the type with two serial ports.

I just sent in a requistion by email to see if I can get a 1100 ordered under another project that I am working on.
Hopefully when it comes in, I will be able to follow these post on the site and mrplc, and be able to pull in data through the ethernet port.
I had a 1100 for about a week, but had to put it in a machine and ship it to Thialand. Never really got the chance to play with the pulling of data, etc..
Hopefully when this one comes in, I will be able to hold on to it, spending quite a bit of time in a motel room at the moment, so should have a lot of free time to try it out.

Thanks

You still haven't told us which RsLinx you are using, we know it's release 2.50, but is it the "lite" version, the OEM version, etc....

The lite version is free, and can be downloaded from the AB website, all the other versions must be bought separately. The non lite versions are the ones that have to be used for data polling.

So I'll repeat TWControls question, which version of Rslinx do you have?

Ken, our data logging project did work with the Lite version, and the AB data pulling utility. When not using the AB utility, im not sure what version you would need at that point...

Just for clarity, what nhicks is referring to is different than using DDE over RSLinx to read PLC address contents...

To use DDE/OPC, you need a version of RSLinx other than Lite...

Martin T. said:
I had to use pro because single node didn't allow DDE, unless I messed up somewhere.:confused:

That should be good, then. The only possibility might be that you'll need to get the correct EDS file for the 1200. Can you see the 1200 with RSLinx? Does the icon appear like a small PLC? If so, your EDS is good. If not, then update it.

OZEE said:
That should be good, then. The only possibility might be that you'll need to get the correct EDS file for the 1200. Can you see the 1200 with RSLinx? Does the icon appear like a small PLC? If so, your EDS is good. If not, then update it.

Mine was for a ML1100, I didn't look into it too much, already had it working with pro and when the single node came in that I put in a desktop and didn't allow the excel file to poll I just stuck pro in the desktop to get it going. I'll have to try look into it later.

Thanks for the PDF Mickey.

Ken Moore said:
You still haven't told us which RsLinx you are using, we know it's release 2.50, but is it the "lite" version, the OEM version, etc....

The lite version is free, and can be downloaded from the AB website, all the other versions must be bought separately. The non lite versions are the ones that have to be used for data polling.

So I'll repeat TWControls question, which version of Rslinx do you have?

Rslinx
I open it up - under help about -
rslinx classic lite

hounddog said:
Rslinx
I open it up - under help about -
rslinx classic lite
You will not be able to so this with Lite. Any other version of RsLinx will work, but need more details to determine which on is the best. You have 50 of then. How will they be connected?

TW

Thanks for reply, the 50 machines with the micrologix 1200 plc in this is in one of our plants in Dominican Republic.
We talked to our local ab rep, and did some looking around and it has been decided by management that the cost to be able to monitor and pull data from these machines was too high.

In this same plant, we have a couple of dozen other machines that have the slc 505 in them, we have been able to connect to them through our network here in the US, and connect to them through the ethernet ports and go online and monitor and troubleshoot.
We have played around with using the internet explorer since the 505's that we have are web capable as well.

We have decided that any project that we do now will be with the slc 505 or even the micrologix 1100 plc, since they are capable of being connected to through our network and the ethernet connector.
I have ordered a micrologix 1100, so that I can connect to it at my desk and learn more about how to use internet explorer to pull data into excel, etc..
Your post on datalogging have been very useful.
Is there a good way to be able to use internet explorer, and create some custom graphics, gif's, etc to represent production,
etc., and pull data from the 1100.
Our upper management is wanting to be able to just sit down at the desk, start up internet explorer and view production totals, goods per minute, defects, etc.
From what I have been able to determine so far, you would need to be able to use something such as visual basic, or a software package such Iconics.
Any advice would be greatly apprciated.
Thanks