CITECT setup question

mrtweaver

I was wondering if anyone here would know if the following is possible on the new version 7 of citect or even if it is available on earlier versions.

Can you make a template for a machine type then everytime you need to add a new machine to the production floor you just cut and paste the template and setup the IP address, all other addresses are already set via the template.

I know this is possible in software such as Wonderware but do other platforms have this feature as well?

Short Answer -- ver 7 don't know, previous versions -- No.

You could do something similar using Genies & Supergenies and you even alter IO device address's during run-time but it would take some Cicode or using the "Automation Interface" on your part. Don't forget that Citect is still a compiled system, you configure your project and then when you press the compile button the system creates a run-time version of your off-line project.
If you are specifacly looking for Scada system's that can do this have a look at ClearSCADA, It uses VBA and I have seen examples were you can enter PLC address at runtime and the system will build all relevant graphics.

This is achieved by editing the variable.dbf file. Ensure each machine has its own prefix for its tags, sort the dbf file by tagname, copy the block for one machine, paste for the new machine, edit the prefix and the device on the copy. Also define a new device for that new machine with the new IP address and your done.

Hope this helps
Geoff

My apologies ! Geoff C is correct I made the assumption that you wanted to do this "on-line" from "inside" the running system.